Author Topic: Unauthorised SCAN activated.  (Read 37332 times)

nicla

Re: Unauthorised SCAN activated.
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2008, 08:48:48 PM »
wyrmrider

I am suffering from information overload at present.  The firewall keeps asking me questions about programmes and I am clueless as to whether to allow them or not.  At present I uncheck the 'remember this setting' box then I click on "block" assuming that at the next start up the same question will be asked and that by then I will have discovered something new and can make an informed choice.

I would like to give it a rest, as you have suggested too, for a period and try to come up to speed.  This will probably include checking out the PCTFW forum for tips etc.  In this case to ensure safe surfing would my immediate priority be to download and install Spybot S&D (selecting the options you suggest)?  And then when I come back attend to the Hosts issue?

memory on C-drive  =  14.5 GB  (not an awful lot I know)  NB - hard drive is partitioned with 65.8GB free on E-drive

#1 .......... T-timer is optional  try it and see if it is compatible with your system
how much memory did you say you have

Leading on from the quote above what I am prompted to wonder is how the operating speed of the computer might be affected with the installation of the current safeguards combined with those suggested in previous posts? What I mean is should some slowing down be expected or should its normal operation continue. (I am very happy with its operation speed).  I ask this as some titles of forum threads (no necessarily at avast!)  have made me curious about this.  So far there has been no noticeable difference.

wyrmrider

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2008, 11:33:49 PM »
Every time you try and use a new program or download your firewall is going to ask if it's ok
If you know what you are doing it's ok
if not click no and google whatever it is
there are people around who know that firewall better than I or try the firewall vendor forum

as to slowing your system down
you have
Avast
Firewall
so far nothing you are doing should matter

If you do the other suggestions one at a time you can see if they lead to unacceptable performance
(which must be balanced against having to clean your system again)

Right now getting your firewall into shape is enough
one thing at a time

nicla

« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2008, 04:31:19 AM »
Thanks wyrmrider and DavidR -- and see you soon........ish    :-*

Nicola

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2008, 03:24:14 PM »
You're welcome, hopefully not too soon ;D e.g. you don't have any problems.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security