Author Topic: What is the difference among them? (on-access scanner)  (Read 7571 times)

XINLAI-A

What is the difference among them? (on-access scanner)
« on: August 13, 2008, 01:22:35 AM »
Hello,

I have a question about Avast On-Access Scanner.  There's normal sensitivity, high sensitivity, and custom sensitivity in each provider,

what is the difference among them?

Thanks for your help.

;D

dallas7

Re: What is the difference among them? (on-access scanner)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 01:33:04 AM »
Look for the Help file; it's in the Start menu in "avast! Antivirus"

Check under Resident Protection for each of the individual Provider settings.

The slider moves to Custom if you change any of the settings in the "pages" of any of the providers.

The Help file, by the way, is helpful.  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 03:52:29 PM »
Click 'Detais' button to see each provider.
On help files there are instructions for each one.

For Standard Shield, the Normal level is the best balance between performance and protection.
The best things in life are free.

XINLAI-A

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 03:53:41 AM »

For Standard Shield, the Normal level is the best balance between performance and protection.

Thank you all.  I find it !  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 03:06:14 PM »
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)

XINLAI-A

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 03:19:30 PM »

Hello, Tech,

You said that for Standard Shield, the Normal level is the best balance between performance and protection. 
Then how about the other Providers, like Instant Messaging, Web Shield, etc ?  Is the Normal level also the best balance in these other Providers ?

Thanks for your help.

:)

wyrmrider

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 04:09:25 PM »
I've seen the web shield on high standard shield on normal recommended- try it and see how your experience is
same with IM
if you do not use outlook or p2p you can disable

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 04:29:27 AM »
Then how about the other Providers, like Instant Messaging, Web Shield, etc ?  Is the Normal level also the best balance in these other Providers ?
P2P/IM: High and Normal make no difference at all.
WebShield: I think the same.
They keep the button there just to homogeneity with other providers (which is an error imho).

XINLAI-A

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 10:00:25 AM »
P2P/IM: High and Normal make no difference at all.
WebShield: I think the same.
They keep the button there just to homogeneity with other providers (which is an error imho).

Hi, Tech,

Thanks for your reply.

According to your explanation, then there is no difference among all the Providers, right ?  I mean, both Normal and High level of the Providers (except Standard Shield, which should select Normal) are the best balance between performance and protection.  ?

;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 03:38:26 PM »
All providers/Shields have the same slider, more for the same look and feel, but not all of them have any effect.

The Standard Shield and Internet Mail providers (plus Outlook/Exchange if you use MS Outlook, not express) change the sensitivity/level of the scan when you bump it sensitivity up.

Personally I don't know about the Web Shield provider but I have mine set to High as if it does have any effect I would want a higher level for what probably the highest risk area for infection. I also have the Internet Mail set to High, but the Standard Shield set to Normal (as are the remainder of the providers I use).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 03:51:33 PM »
According to your explanation, then there is no difference among all the Providers, right ?  I mean, both Normal and High level of the Providers (except Standard Shield, which should select Normal) are the best balance between performance and protection.  ?
David answered before. Standard Shield, Internet Mail and Outlook plugin have different settings for High and Normal levels.
Set to Normal just Standard Shield. The others, could be High.

XINLAI-A

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 06:12:36 PM »
David answered before. Standard Shield, Internet Mail and Outlook plugin have different settings for High and Normal levels.
Set to Normal just Standard Shield. The others, could be High.

Hello, Tech,

First, thank you and DavidR.

Okay, then I have a final question that why we should set Standard Shield Normal ?  The purpose of Standard Shield is that checks the

programs you start and the files you access. It will not allow an infected program to be started.  According to this definition, why not

we just set Standard Shield High as the other providers so that we can get a better protection?

:D

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 06:14:47 PM by XINLAI-A »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 07:28:55 PM »
Because by increasing the sensitivity, you increase the number of files (some of which are a low (or no) risk of infection) and this depending on your systems power (or lack of it) could slow performance.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 07:29:08 PM »
we just set Standard Shield High as the other providers so that we can get a better protection?
The balance is the best, the balance between protection and performance.
On High level, your computer will be slower. The level of protection does not 'justify' this performance lose. Normal level is safe enough.

XINLAI-A

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 12:57:07 PM »
Because by increasing the sensitivity, you increase the number of files (some of which are a low (or no) risk of infection) and this depending on your systems power (or lack of it) could slow performance.

Okay, I understand.  Thank you, DavidR and Tech ! ;D