Author Topic: automatic updates  (Read 7015 times)

tbpar

automatic updates
« on: August 07, 2008, 08:52:30 AM »
Hello,

I am running avast! server edition version 4.7, build: Dec2007 (4.7.878) on an NT4 server machine, connected permanently to the internet via hardware firewall (right now I am running as 60 day demo because I want to evaluate avast! on my server). I am able to update the virus definitions manually, but automatic updates do not seem to work. The relevant settings in avast! are OK and avast tries to update automatically about every 2 hours (as evident in the log files), but there are errors (I attached the log of a failed update) and the virus definitions are not updated.
What am I missing? I'd like the automatic updates to work as for a server it is not convenient to manually update the virus definitions every day.

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

thetao

Re: automatic updates
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:07:17 PM »
I did a quick search of this site and the 0x00000005 error you're getting is a Write failed/Invalid permission sort of error.  Avast runs under the local system account.  Is the security on those folders set to permit to save those files?

Hope that helps.

tbpar

Re: automatic updates
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 09:28:29 AM »
Hello thetao,

thanks a lot for the hint! Setting the correct permissions of my "C:\Temp" folder solved the problem. I had to allow "administrator" "full access" to this folder, after that the automatic updates worked just fine...

Thanks again and best regards,

Andreas