Author Topic: Reinstal of v4.8  (Read 4405 times)

datpalms

Reinstal of v4.8
« on: August 14, 2008, 02:50:00 AM »
I will have to do a clean instal of XP SP3 soon and have been running Avast for years, constantly updating online to the present version. I am limited in downloads so is it possible to retain this version without having to load a much older version and update online ?
Is it also possible to retain latest virus definitions from my existing system, again this would eliminate more downloads.
Would very much appreciate comments on this which must have affected others.
Cheers, Dave

ardvark

Re: Reinstal of v4.8
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:29:27 AM »
Hi...

You have an ISP that monitors and restricts downloads?? Wow :o

Well, the only idea I have is to buy a USB stick drive, go to another computer that doesn't restrict downloads and download avast and the definition update (seperately) here...

http://www.avast.com/eng/update_avast_4_vps.html

Then plug the stick into your own computer and copy the files to your desktop and install them from there. :) If you have continuous access to the other computer, you can keep getting the updates in this manner.

Hope this helps. :)

Best Regards...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 02:34:13 PM »
The downloads (updates) are limited to 14 months. Then, you need to register again, for free again, and insert the new key.
The updates are incremental, so you're not downloading unnecessary files.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 04:38:19 PM »
I will have to do a clean instal of XP SP3 soon and have been running Avast for years, constantly updating online to the present version. I am limited in downloads so is it possible to retain this version without having to load a much older version and update online ?

Is it also possible to retain latest virus definitions from my existing system, again this would eliminate more downloads.

When you download the latest version of avast it comes complete with the full virus signatures ate the time the installation files was placed for download.

So there should be no need to download a full copy of the VPS, just do a manual update once avast is installed and it will do a catch-up on the incremental VPS updates over what is in the installation file, it shouldn't be very much.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

datpalms

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 04:32:26 AM »
Thanks to all you guys.
1) Will have to reinstall with v 4.2, so I suspected that it would be a large download to update the prog and virus defs. Since I am currently running 4.8 I think I will lose all this info and this will lead into exceeding a download limit which I have clocked up recently. I thought there might be a file, particularly of virus defs which I could save and then use on a new installation. Sorry if I did not explain in sufficient detail.
2) Yes, there are still ISPs with limits!
3) Don't have access to another PC but good suggestion.
Cheers, Dave

MauriceW

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 09:22:29 AM »
datpalms,

May I offer a suggestion to ease your problem with restricted downloads?
Without info as to your overall system the following is necessarily in general terms.

Before making your new XP SP3,
create a new extra primary partition, say 5GB, on your harddrive.
(Even better, get a second harddrive.)

Install your new XP SP3 into this Partition
(This will automatically create a dual booting capability)

Get xxClone from http://www.xxclone.com/ (about 5MB)
and install it in your new XP SP3 OS.
Add any vital applications (e.g. security software) to this Basic XP OS
then xxClone the OS to the old partition, thus removing the unwanted version.

Now, in the future your can retrieve a clean OS without incurring download penalties.

This works well for me, and was particularly valuable before SP3,
when SP2 updates to a clean installation were approaching 100MB.
I now can retrieve a clean XP SP3 from my backup clone in about 5mins.

Another benefit is that a cloned OS does not have to be re-activated by Microsoft.

I leave suggestions about saving downloads for Avast! updates to others.

Maurice
p.s. the xxClone forum is here:
http://groups.google.com/group/xxclone

datpalms

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 03:43:00 AM »
Hi Maurice,
That is a really clever option and many thanks. I usually separate XP and Applications onto two separate partitions and then use Ghost to create images from which I can back up if things go wrong. But I only recently adopted this strategy and as luck would have it, my PS smoked and took the MB with it before I was ready.
But the idea of a separate primary is good and I will implement this on a second HDD.
Many thanks again, Dave