Author Topic: scanning email with attachements  (Read 4121 times)

baharamjara

scanning email with attachements
« on: April 08, 2004, 08:47:45 PM »
I have enabled email scanning in !avast. When messages are downloadnig or sending there is icon in system tray. The problem is that there is no information about scanning results in incoming/outgoing messages, when there are attachements. Text/html messages without attachements contains this information. Is it normal? I'm not sure that messages with attachements are properly scanned.
I have read that it happens with IMAP servers but I use POP3. My email client is opera, !avast wersion: home edition 4.1, operating system Windows 2000 pro.
Thanks for help!

shgoh

Re:scanning email with attachements
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 11:59:02 PM »
you can check the resident shield for details.....or maybe you can add note into clean messages.... ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 04:13:05 PM »
The attachment is scanned as well the body of the message.
You can check this:
1. Looking the icon on the system tray
2. Addind a note in the Inbound/Outbound messages (both for Internet Mail or MS Outlook if you use it)
3. Right clicking a message, choose properties and se if there are two headers like these:
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0404-5, 08-04-2004), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
The best things in life are free.

mbannon

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 09:00:45 PM »
I have run the Mail Protection wizard several times.  The correct Default POP3 server is entered in it.  When downloading email the system tray icon does not rotate.  'Scan inbound mail' is checked on the POP tab under Internet Mail in the On-Access panel and it says that the process is currently running.

Incoming emails that I send to myself have the following in the header:

X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0402-2, 02/25/2004), Outbound message

X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

Incoming emails from anyone else have no mention of avast! in the header.

It appears that avast! is not scanning the emails as they come in although the resident shield does pick up the virus when the email is opened.

Can anyone help me?

EDIT:  It is definitely not scanning emails as they come in.  I just downloaded 4 emails and no comments about avast! in the headers, no spinning icon, on-access scanner 'Internet Mail' shows last scanned an email I sent myself a few hours ago.  I don't know whether that means it scanned it going out or coming in.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 01:01:53 AM by mbannon »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 04:40:46 AM »
Incoming emails from anyone else have no mention of avast! in the header.
It appears that avast! is not scanning the emails as they come in although the resident shield does pick up the virus when the email is opened.
Can anyone help me?

Of course... Can you post your email account settings:

pop3 and smtp servers must be 127.0.0.1
you must write your user name like this: Name#Pop3ServerName

Do you have the same port number set on avast! and your email client?
Do you use a spam killer?
The best things in life are free.

mbannon

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 07:18:00 AM »
Thanks Technical.  I had tried doing that but I didn't get the user name right.  I couldn't get it to even log in.  It finally clicked when I read your reply.  It's working now.  Thanks again.