Author Topic: Microsoft Update page won't load unless...  (Read 8950 times)

bcool

Microsoft Update page won't load unless...
« on: August 14, 2008, 02:53:54 PM »
Microsoft Update page wouldn't load today until I 'stopped On-Access Protection'   I returned to the Microsoft Update(MU) site and latest updates displayed, downloaded and installed without incident.  Very first time this has happened.  I'm scatching my head.  I also noticed that MU had NOT been able to perform its automatic update routine since Tuesday, August 12 when MS released a bunch of fixes.  The update log was littered with phrases like "Update...(blah blah blah) is "Priority" regulated and can NOT download", "Update is not allowed to download due to regulation" and "DnldMgr   Regulation: {7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D}"
I've done nothing to my system in a long time and this hitch with MU is also first time occurrence.   When I noticed that the MU process hadn't completed on Tuesday or even Wednesday I began to look into the matter.  When I tried to access the MU website directly I received a non-specific error that the page simply couldn't be loaded.  I immediately 'stopped On-Access Protection' and returned to MU for complete success.
Avast! Home 4.8.1299  (running 4 providers: Internet Mail, Network Shield, Standard Shield and Web Shield - all set to Normal)
ZoneAlarm Free 6.1.744.001
Windows XP SP3
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.16 (default)
IE 6 (SP fully updated)

I'm not pointing fingers but I just have to ask why I could immediately access MU after stopping providers.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 03:37:42 PM by bcool »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Microsoft Update page won't load unless...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 03:03:21 PM »
Hmmm... maybe an interaction between ZoneAlarm and avast...
avast does not block access to clean sites, just scan them.
Did you change WebShield Advanced settings to Silent Mode?
The best things in life are free.

bcool

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 03:36:17 PM »
I have done nothing to Avast's default settings apart from pruning providers to the 4 I mentioned.  Things worked fine last month so I'm confused.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 03:49:18 PM »
Me too... it's not easy to troubleshoot Microsoft Windows Updates...
Their support is null or ridiculous... when you need, you can't get help from them... you need to Google, pray, etc.

bcool

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 04:00:51 PM »
 :-\  boy, do you speak the truth.

I've posted at another tech site with a MU slant to question.  Let's see what I come up with.  The only troubling thing is that the MU page loaded immediately after stopping providers.  Could this have simply been a coincidence?  Hmmm......

Thanks.

olddog

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 04:04:21 PM »
bcool, Tech

I downloaded/installed 8 MS updates from the MS update site today - KB953839, KB890830, KB951066, KB952954, KB953838, KB950974, KB951072, KB952287. No problems experienced either with the download or the installation, which was done with 4 of Avast 4.8.1229's shields (Standard, Web, Network & Mail) running. Firewall is ZA 7.0.483.000

Can't comment about automatic download - always initiate updates manually so I know what is being done when.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 07:33:51 PM »
No problems with MS update here either.  I'm in "notify only" mode, so I can choose a convenient time, and use IE7 under its Tools menu to do the updates.

The only oddball thing I sometimes get, every few months, is that I'll sometimes get that "updates available" icon persist, or sometimes pop back up after a delay, after even 2 or 3 reboots, even though the Update site showed everything was installed successfully.  I finally found that if I click the icon and tell it to proceed, it "downloads and installs" in nothing flat, obviously finally deciding they're already done.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 07:53:32 PM »
I'm in Notify only mode also, Yesterday I was notified of a number of updates, I unchecked one (the malicious software one) and elected to download and install the rest. I'm still waiting for WU to get around to downloading and installing.

At this rate I would go back to the way I had it set-up on my old system, disabled and look after my own updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 07:56:58 PM »
I did not have a speck of bother on my XP Pro system nor my XP Home system.

The XP Pro system is running Tiny Personal firewall 2.0.15A

I would not go back to IE6 even if I was dragged into a cave and forced to use dial-up  ;D

I'd miss the Tabs too much.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 07:59:53 PM by YoKenny »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 11:41:12 PM »
No problems with MS update here either.  I'm in "notify only" mode, so I can choose a convenient time, and use IE7 under its Tools menu to do the updates.
Some updates Microsoft does without your consent, mandatory, on background...
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37899.0

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 12:21:10 AM »
Thanks Tech, I'd already been vaguely aware of that.

If I understand correctly, the no-option things relate to the MS Update engine itself, rather than to what we normally see as critical updates.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 12:47:09 AM »
If I understand correctly, the no-option things relate to the MS Update engine itself, rather than to what we normally see as critical updates.
Yes, they're about Windows update site and engines.

bcool

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 01:10:46 PM »
Well then perhaps my first failed attempt to bring up the MU page was just a fluke.  Thus disabling the Avast! providers had no relevance at all.  The thing going on with the automatic Microsoft Update routine is another matter yet not likely related to Avast! Home.  I do need to find a discussion somewhere that can shed some light on the Microsoft jargon like:

Update (so and so) is "Priority" regulated and can NOT download or again Update is not allowed to download due to regulation or again DnldMgr   Regulation: {7971F918-A847-4430-9279-4A52D1EFE18D} 

These all where found in the update log over the course of three days where the download of updates had failed.
I'm happy to see that Avast! is not culprit.  Thanks.  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 02:36:25 PM »
The WU can be a right royal pain in the rear as it overpowers virtually everything.

This morning at about 1a.m. WU finally took notice of the updates I had selected to install (from the previous notification) some 36 hours after having chosen to download and install. Whilst this download was going on I could do nothing else (I'm on dial-up) on the internet and there is no way to interrupt the download and install process the timing is out of your control. Monitoring my Received data size, this download just didn't seem to be happening or had stalled, but nothing else worked.

In the end I killed the connection and waited a while and went back on-line to try and finish what I wanted to do. Close to 2a.m. it kicked off trying to download and install process again, this time it seemed to maintain the download and that part completed successfully (allowing me to regain control of my internet use) and did the installation and I rebooted after finishing on the internet to complete the installation process.

This is just to show the total lack of control you have over WU and what I had forgotten as on my old system I did manual updates only, I had forgotten this was one of the reasons why. So I could quite well go back to this if I have any more episodes like this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security