Author Topic: [Solved] Cannot uninstall  (Read 4410 times)

SteveH

[Solved] Cannot uninstall
« on: August 14, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »
Hi

I recently left my previous job, at which I supplied my own desktop (!!) and it was part of an AVAST commercial license; I've now got the machine at home, went to uninstall but it failed; stopped the services, went to uninstall and it's asking for a password.

I really dont want to reinstall this machine - can someone at least tell me what the password is, in reference to how it was set up; I was the IT boss at the previous firm, and set up avast commerical myself, but dont recall setting any such password.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

(PS: I want to install Avast home edition!)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 10:23:14 PM by SteveH »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cannot uninstall
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:46:32 PM »
I don't think there is a password by default, certainly not one set by avast, the only one is user set to stop access to the program settings. I don't know if when using a commercial license if you were also using the ADNM (avast distributed network manager) software, that might have been able to set a password and if so you are still in the same boat.

The only way to resolve this is by uninstalling and reinstalling avast.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.

1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SteveH

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 10:13:57 AM »
Thanks very much - I'll give this a go later today & let you know how it goes.

Steve

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:14:54 PM »
No problem, glad I could help, until then.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SteveH

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 10:22:29 PM »
That worked first time - thanks alot for that.

I should add that I converted to Avast from AVG about 18 months ago, and have recommended it to home users as well as several corporate clients, each of whom bought 50+ licenses each. Great software.... Great job!

Steve

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: [Solved] Cannot uninstall
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 11:51:39 PM »
SteveH, if everything fails, you can ask for support by email in order to get rid of this password (maybe support@avast.com).
But an installation from the scratch should do the job:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first (if you can).
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: [Solved] Cannot uninstall
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 12:00:00 AM »
That worked first time - thanks alot for that.

I should add that I converted to Avast from AVG about 18 months ago, and have recommended it to home users as well as several corporate clients, each of whom bought 50+ licenses each. Great software.... Great job!

Steve

You're welcome, keep up the good work promoting avast.