Author Topic: Engine Cannot Launch  (Read 9145 times)

RaymondEAK

Engine Cannot Launch
« on: August 21, 2008, 11:40:32 AM »
When i open avast i get this message

Engine Cannot Launch
The virus scanner engine cannot launch: try please to re-install the application, or consult the support

Can someboby help me?

MvH.
RaymondEAK

RaymondEAK

Re: Engine Cannot Launch
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »
avast for Mac

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 01:01:51 PM »
When i open avast i get this message

Engine Cannot Launch
The virus scanner engine cannot launch: try please to re-install the application, or consult the support

Can someboby help me?

MvH.
RaymondEAK

Hallo,
yes, this is known flaw that affects those few users where linking 400.vps to target location returns EXDEV (made by installer).
But fix is easy - just go to /Applications/avast!.app/Contents/Resources (use Ctrl-click/Show package contents in finder to go to avast!.app), and copy that 400.vps to ~/Library/Application Support/com.avast.MacAvast/.

This will fix the flaw.

Regards,
PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

bkdoc

Engine Cannot Launch
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 06:24:31 PM »
I also receive:" The virus scanner engine cannot launch: try please to reinstall the application, or consult the support "message on our new macbook. I am a mac newbie and recently brought all the files and programs including a trial version of avast over to the new machine from a time machine backup on a different Imac. On the new macbook the avast preferences are greyed out as well. I tried removing and reinstalling avast with no success. I successfully navigated to /Applications/avast!.app/Contents/Resources but could find avast!.app or~/Library/Application Support/com.avast.MacAvast/ to try the fix. Thank you BK

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 12:43:48 PM »
I also receive:" The virus scanner engine cannot launch: try please to reinstall the application, or consult the support "message on our new macbook. I am a mac newbie and recently brought all the files and programs including a trial version of avast over to the new machine from a time machine backup on a different Imac. On the new macbook the avast preferences are greyed out as well. I tried removing and reinstalling avast with no success. I successfully navigated to /Applications/avast!.app/Contents/Resources but could find avast!.app or~/Library/Application Support/com.avast.MacAvast/ to try the fix. Thank you BK

Ah,
this is crucial - "recently brought all the files and programs including a trial version of avast over to the new machine from a time machine backup on a different Imac" - probably the application can't find its 400.vps, but the same as was written above applies here too.

Just make sure that the 400.vps is at its place.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)