Author Topic: How to enable warning  (Read 4220 times)

avastreg

How to enable warning
« on: August 14, 2008, 08:20:22 PM »
I was running a scan of my c drive and keept getting the popup asking what I wanted to do (delete, move to chest, etc.). It was failing on a directory that has about 500 files and they appeared to all be suspect so it would take forever to complete due to all of the clicking I would need to do. I finally clicked on the "Don't show this message again" checkbox, assuming any files found bad would still be moved to the chect. Not only did that no happen, no more errors were reported, even after finishing. I then clicked into the check and ran a scan on those files - still no error showing. So it seems I have disabled error checking, which isn't a good thing for such a program.

I've gone through the settings but can't find anything that refers to this. Of course, I'm not sure what I am looking for either. Can anyone tell me how do I reenable the option to show errors and is it possible to have suspect files to automatically be moved to the chest?

using 4.8 Home version

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: How to enable warning
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 11:36:35 PM »
no happen, no more errors were reported, even after finishing.
How are you starting the scan? Right clicking the folder?
Into avast Program Settings > Common tab of settings, see if you've checked the Explorer extension results...

Can anyone tell me how do I reenable the option to show errors and is it possible to have suspect files to automatically be moved to the chest?
Automated actions weren't available in Home version. You can't disable the virus warning in all scannings. That message you've clicked will work only for that particular scanning.
The best things in life are free.

avastreg

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 02:57:55 AM »
I changed the setting you mentioned and then right clicked on the C drive to scan it all. It went through the whole scan without reporting any failures. When I ran this before, prior to setting that option, the directory it was scanning was causing a failure on every file. Those files are still there so shouldn't they be failing now? Is there a test file available that I can scan that will cause an error so I can be sure this is working, since it doesn't seem to be?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 03:50:45 AM »
I see no reason for the errors...
But you can configure the report options of avast and include soft/hard error files and even the 'ok' ones.
But you need to open avast antivirus and scan from the interface.

avastreg

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 05:24:13 AM »
I found a site that provides a test filehttp://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm. AV found it when scanned and the error message popped up. So maybe something was hung up before that was causing all of those errors. In any event, it seems to be working. Thank you for the help you provided.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 08:18:16 PM »
So maybe something was hung up before that was causing all of those errors. In any event, it seems to be working. Thank you for the help you provided.
You're probably right.
When a virus is found (might be a eicar test, but it doesn't matter in this case), avast! starts scanning with a higher sensitivity from that moment (the idea is that if one infected file is found on the computer, which shouldn't be a very common event, there may be more)
So, when the "infection" is found, avast! switches the sensitivity - which could change the detection of packaging as well.

avastreg

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 02:52:35 PM »
Ahh, thanks for the explanation. I feel more confident now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 03:52:15 AM »
Ahh, thanks for the explanation. I feel more confident now.
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)