Author Topic: malware contamination, help!  (Read 6807 times)

egr

Re: malware contamination, help!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 03:20:58 AM »
not off yet... had to uninstall and re-install java. it seems that older versions are doors for viruses.

vundofix did a fast scan and the system came out clean. upload still s*cks so i guess it IS the LAN blocking uptraffic and not my computer, cause i can download very well. i am guessing that the router/modem/whatever makes the connection to the internet needs a restart too. (we had some nice 3-per-minute power shutdowns when the electrical power failed due high usage - it's a heat wave here, maybe those powerdowns did something to the hardware in my admin's place. i can't go there and check though.)

did you say windows defender? does that need to install or will it run a clean scan like vundofix?

*dropping*

EDIT: read something on it. i can't use it, my xp is a clone :(
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:24:00 AM by egr »

wyrmrider

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 04:59:55 AM »
we do not need windows defender

on MBAM
the drill is shown in this thread post 42- we will  try MBAM again at the finish
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=d86caf7df1d319c48f9cce4215a09b0d&topic=37817.0
(you are not the only beginner- more of them (us) than geeks methinks)

meanwhile let's try
http://www.superantispyware.com/
or an online antivirus scan
F protect - see list below  we want to see both clean Anti spyware and Anti virus scans

or
DrWeb Cure It

for reference
here is a list of on line AV
I can only suggest full computer on-line scanning:
Kaspersky (very good detection rates)  will not remove anything but will show if still infected
ESET NOD32
Trendmicro housecall
F-Secure
BitDefender (free removal of the malware)

WATCH FOR FALSE POSITIVES
Quarantine do not remove/delete
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 06:13:41 AM by wyrmrider »

egr

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 10:51:15 PM »
thank you :)

i will try an online scan when the upload speeds up. i don't want to get stuck in an unfinished scan :(

umm, i had bitdefender once upon a time, and it announced all found viruses but took no action - or said it couldn't delete them -  so i ended up with 101+ malwares and that computer went dead (they had delivered it with everything installed and no motherboard or drivers' installation cd so we couldn't even wipe it and re-install windows on it. it left me a very bad taste and i don't want to go close BD ever again.)

NOD32 has been used by people in my LAN, they're not happy with it. i'll try kaspersky online but i can't right now, because of the speed.

(which is caused by the so lovely admin who actually created two separate network groups using the same internet access, of which one is used by the most of us and the other is set aside for a guy who plays CS day and night. wyrmrider, no offense if you're a gamer, but boys and their games are...  >:(
i am about 90% convinced he didn't protect his computer since he's carrying BD and if he stays connected so much, the uplink is used by the games and the adds he got.)

in the meantime, my computer speeded up when offline and i can do whatever i want with it, so that's one great relief :)

thank you for all the help!

wyrmrider

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 04:57:19 AM »
If you have not run your on line av scan
usually I would recommend a Kaspersky AV scan at this point however JeanInMontana at the Malwarebytes forum recommends a Panda active scan to help with the fakeAV2008 infection had has posted a detailed how to here:
How To Do a Panda Active Scan and Save The Log, Complete With Illustration
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2306
in addition Panda will remove what it finds for free (after asking you to buy)
I am hoping that you will be comfortable with this step by step instruction

If you are comfortable with Kaspersky go for it- just turn everything on
(Kaspersky will not quarantine so the log is essential!

with any scan watch for false positives and quarantine do not delete/ remove
(except for the funny instructions for MBAM :)

I never can get Bit Defender to work on my system either !