Author Topic: HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans w/ Free Version!  (Read 230904 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans w/ Free Version!
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »
The whole point of this topic is 'for the free edition' to have a work around to the Pro versions scheduled scan function.

I'm sure any password requirement is mentioned at some point in this already long topic. But any password requirement would be your log-on user name password or administrator password if trying to run this work around from a limited user account, but I don't have any practical experience as I have never felt the need to use this work around.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

RegB

« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2009, 03:00:29 PM »
An old thread, I know.
I picked up the tutorial last night on bleeping, set it up and it works.
It didn't seem to make much sense to schedule a scan every night, on the other hand it doesn't make much sense to stay exposed to new virii for several hours after an update.

I don't know if this could be done with the Windows scheduler at the time that this thread was started, but in Vista 64 bit it is not only possible - but for me it worked the first time (-:

Basically do everything listed in the original post, as always there are SLIGHT name changes in a FEW places with this later version of Windows.
In the left panel click on the Task Scheduler Library tab.
Find your scheduled task in the middle panel and right click on it, select properties.
In the properties window that pops up click on the Triggers tab.
Your existing scheduled scan should show in the big panel.
Click on New at the bottom left corner, a New Trigger window should pop up.
In the top drop down list choose "On an event".
In the Settings panel choose Custom, then click Edit Event Filter.
Be sure you are on the Filter tab.
In the Logged drop down list select Anytime.
From Event Level select Information.
Select By Source and in the Event Sources drop down select BOTH Application Popup and avast!
Leave everything else alone on this window, click OK to close.
This should take you back to the Edit trigger window, be sure Enabled is checked in the bottom left corner, then click OK to close.
That should take you back to the Properties window and you should see your new "On an event" trigger in the main panel.

Basically what this does is to set up a scan to run as soon as Avast sends an informational message and the only ones I ever get are "Virus database has been updated".

MY goal is to run a scan as soon as possible after Avast issues an update.

OK, but that is just the triggering of WHEN to run the scan.
You still need to fill in the Actions tab the same way you did for your scheduled scan.
Reminder;
Click on the Actions tab, click on New in the bottom left corner, fill in the window that pops up in the same way that you did for the scheduled run.
e.g. browse to "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" (or wherever) and fill in C: D: in the arguments box.

TESTING;
Keep your sound volume at a level where you will hear it, e.g. be sure it isn't muted.
When you hear the DAILY "Virus database has been updated" message look for a new avast scan window.
You will know it is new if only a few files have been scanned.

At some point you might as well delete the (daily, weekly, monthly, etc) scheduled task.

RegB

« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2009, 03:09:56 PM »
hi
I am using these instruction to schedule a quick scan using the windows xp task scheduler.
But once the scan is finished, what is the easiest way to check the scan results?
Thanks
-g

At a guess;
Schedule another task - - to run on completion of the scan.
Windows Task Scheduler is reasonably powerful in this respect.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2009, 04:53:52 PM »
Not only is it an old topic, it will be redundant come the release of avast version 5.0 (except for those who can't run 5.0), as even the free version will have the ability to run scheduled scans, which was the purpose of this work around.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

RegB

« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2009, 09:48:52 PM »
USE of the Standard Windows Task Scheduler is hardly a "work around".
Any more than the use of CRON jobs would be a "work around" on *nix platforms
These are STANDARD platform tools and there is much to be said for their use.

In fact they are very likely the mechanism that the "pro" version calls (behind the curtain).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2009, 10:11:29 PM »
Well I don't know what else to call it as avast Home doesn't have any way to schedule a scan, so for those who have avast Home that want to do one, this is a way around the lack of that function in avast Home, a.k.a. a work around.

REDACTED

« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2013, 11:19:13 PM »
This scheduling process works even for a full scan  ( IF YOU MAKE A CUSTOM FULL SCAN -  then set it as your default scan. )   

you can do this by going to the  Antivirus,  scan now,  create custom scan  section of the free version.   When done  expand the " more details" option and be sure to check mark the  ( make this my default scan box )

after this is done,  simply follow the original instructions to schedule the "quickscan" 

************* ORIGINAL INSTRUCTIONS (BELOW ) *****************

NOTE: These instructions are for Windows XP and assume Windows is set up to use "single click" to open items. I would assume the steps would be similar for other versions of Windows.)

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scheduled Tasks
    Click (or double-click) on Add Scheduled Task
    In the wizard that appears click Next - a list of programs will appear
    Click Browse and navigate to C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4 (or whatever folder in which you installed avast!)
    Click (or double-click) on the file ashQuick.exe
    On the next screen give the task a name of your choice and choose how often you want it to run and click on Next
    On the next screen choose the appropriate scheduling options and click on Next
    On the next screen enter the user name and password for the Windows user you want the task to run as, then click on Next
    On the next screen check the box for the option "Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish", and then click Finish
    On the next screen, in the "Run" field you will see the path for the ashQuick.exe program. After the closing quote enter a space and type in the path(s) that you want scanned. Multiple paths must be separated by a space and any paths that include a space in the path name must be in quotes. Here are a couple of examples:

"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" C: E: - this will scan the entire contents of the C: and E: drives
"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" "C:Program Files" E:Downloads - this will scan the contents of the Program Files folder on the C: drive and the Downloads folder on the E: drive, including all subfolders (Note the first path is in quotes due to the space in the folder name "Program Files")

Click OK
    In the Scheduled Tasks window, from the menu, click on Advanced and choose "Start Using Task Scheduler"
    To test your newly created task, from the Scheduled Tasks window, right-click on the task's icon and choose "Run" from the popup menu. If the scan doesn't begin correctly you'll get an error message. The problem is most likely in the scan path (missing quotes or something like that.)
    Close the Scheduled Tasks window

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2013, 11:28:48 PM »
It is redundant avast8 and earlier avast 7 & 6 versions have had scheduling built into the Scan settings.

This is the problem you get when responding to a topic that is nine years old and the last post in it almost four and a half years old.

REDACTED

« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2017, 02:00:50 AM »
I set up scheduled task. I clicked run and it says running. Is it running?? No windows open.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2017, 02:45:25 PM »
I set up scheduled task. I clicked run and it says running. Is it running?? No windows open.
Stop posting in OLD topics.
If you have a problem, start your own NEW topic.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet