Author Topic: HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans w/ Free Version!  (Read 230923 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans w/ Free Version!
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2006, 01:44:31 PM »
Worked for me, too.  Piece o' cake.  Thanks for the easy to follow instructions.
You're welcome. Feel free to come back, ask for help and share your experiences  :D
The best things in life are free.

varja

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2006, 05:35:18 AM »
Friend   
Thank you very much for the clue. I did I will see tomorrow it worked out. once again thank you very much even.   
Varjao

grendizer

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2006, 02:40:04 PM »
hi
I am using these instruction to schedule a quick scan using the windows xp task scheduler.
But once the scan is finished, what is the easiest way to check the scan results?
Thanks
-g

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2006, 04:20:40 PM »
The short answer is you can't.

The ashquick.exe scan isn't designed to do what is being done here, so it doesn't display results by default when used as a right click context menu scan. This can be adjusted by checking the Program Settings, Common, 'Show results of Explorer Extension.' This I believe will make no difference to the purpose you are putting ashQuick.exe to.

If the results are important to you then you would have to use the Pro version which can schedule a regular scan that gives options on what to do if an infected file is found and retains scan results so you can check them later. The free version is limited this and a few other areas, hence this work around (the programmers have to eat ;D)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2006, 04:23:38 PM »
But once the scan is finished, what is the easiest way to check the scan results?
Only using the Home (free) interface and waiting for the end of the scanning.
The reports of scanning are here: C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report
On the Professional version you can do everything you want  8)
The best things in life are free.

padre44

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2007, 05:07:53 PM »
This works great - thanks for the tip!

Frustrated Tweaker

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2007, 01:53:45 AM »
This issue was originally posted by learned on April 16, 2005, 08:21:53 PM. I'm running into the same problem and don't see any responses on the board.

I set this up, and when I tried testing it, I got the Avast initializing window, for a split second, and then it ends immediately. As I watch in the scheduler it shows it is running and then ends within seconds. I do not see it running under applications and there is never a result in the data file.

I get the impression that those that are running this successfully are seeing the program load and run. I set it up verbatim, have scheduled other programs in this manner before and all other programs in my scheduler run just fine.

Thanks for your time and thoughts!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2007, 02:38:12 AM »
I would guess you haven't set up any drives to scan for it to be over so quickly.

From page one first post.
"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" C: E: - this will scan the entire contents of the C: and E: drives
"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" "C:Program Files" E:Downloads - this will scan the contents of the Program Files folder on the C: drive and the Downloads folder on the E: drive, including all subfolders (Note the first path is in quotes due to the space in the folder name "Program Files")

Or you missed out the quotes around the path to ashQuick.exe or the path is wrong.

Enter the exact text (command) you used with the drive to be scanned (parameters) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Frustrated Tweaker

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2007, 03:23:04 AM »
I entered

"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" C

I should have entered

"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" C:

I missed the colon after C     ARRRRRGH!

Works as it should now - Thanks for your time and help - I appreciate it!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2007, 02:28:27 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.

Revelman

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2007, 08:00:25 PM »
If you receive this message:

Error
0x80070005.Access denied
You have not the right to execute the requested task

Try this,
On the TASK panel in the "Run as:" box enter

NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

This should let you execute the scan.

Offline Caryl

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2007, 07:32:59 AM »
These directions from three years ago are wonderfully clear--thank you. But I have one problem: When I tried to test it, it would not work because "no user accout password was entered." What password am I supposed to enter? I do not use a password when I turn on my computer.

I use Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks for helping me with this.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2007, 02:29:42 PM »
There is no requirement to enter a user name and password, certainly not of avast as you will notice in the topic. That is likely to be a restriction of your operating system when you are trying to create this schedule and run it are you doing it from a user account that has administrator privileges or a limited user account ?

Other than that I can't imagine why you would be required to enter a user name and password.

This may be better taken out to its own New Topic in the General forum, to try and keep the length of this topic down and make it easier for those reading it in the future.

Joel33

« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2007, 02:41:12 AM »
I think Caryl's question is perfect for this thread.  I had the exact same question and it deals with automatically scheduling a scan which is the topic here.

And I thank you David as I was wondering how to handle this as I have no pw but want to follow the instructions in the first post.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 02:46:55 AM by Joel33 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2007, 03:31:46 AM »
The reason I said to take it to another 'new' topic, is there is absolutely nowhere in this Instructional Topic that mentions having to input a user name and password. Unfortunately Caryl didn't do that so it wasn't pursued further.

So you shouldn't have a problem in not having a password, I assume you were able to schedule it without a requirement for a user name and password.