Author Topic: HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans w/ Free Version!  (Read 230933 times)

Joel33

Re: HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans w/ Free Version!
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2007, 06:11:29 PM »
Actually no.  I followed the directions precisely and when I tested with "run" it didn't.  I'm the administrator so I'm not sure what's going on.  Yes, I rechecked all the steps 3 times. 

Thanks,  Joel

Offline Caryl

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2007, 07:57:20 PM »
The reason I said to take it to another 'new' topic, is there is absolutely nowhere in this Instructional Topic that mentions having to input a user name and password. Unfortunately Caryl didn't do that so it wasn't pursued further.

I have just returned from three weeks in China and see that there is some followup to my remarks regarding passwords and automatic scans. The reason I did not start a new topic, as suggested, is because I was new to Avast at that time and decided that I would just scan manually. I am continuing to do that and have no problems.

Offline Caryl

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2007, 08:02:49 PM »
Actually no.  I followed the directions precisely and when I tested with "run" it didn't.  I'm the administrator so I'm not sure what's going on.  Yes, I rechecked all the steps 3 times. 

Were you able to solve this problem of not having a password for automatic scans? Is this topic continued somewhere else?

Offline N@URINE

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2007, 09:01:14 PM »
many many thanks for this information
NourinE

uptoolate

« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2007, 04:45:58 AM »
For those looking to get around the password problem in task manager, doing this has worked for me. Warning: Back up registry before messing with it.

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

Value name: limitblankpassworduse, Type: REG_DWORD, Data: 0 (disabled) 1 (enabled)

Edit the value to (0)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2007, 09:36:20 PM »
For those looking to get around the password problem in task manager, doing this has worked for me. Warning: Back up registry before messing with it.

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

Value name: limitblankpassworduse, Type: REG_DWORD, Data: 0 (disabled) 1 (enabled)

Edit the value to (0)
Thanks for posting. Very useful. Welcome to avast forums.
The best things in life are free.

ttoomm

Has anyone tried the other switches?
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2007, 07:33:05 PM »
It does NOT work
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 10:31:03 AM by ttoomm »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2007, 07:37:23 PM »
This thread is about the free (Home) version.
ashCmd.exe is present only in the Professional version. If you have Professional version, you can easily modify the task in the Enhanced User Interface so that it doesn't show any warnings.

ttoomm

« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2007, 02:43:03 AM »
 :(
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 10:33:45 AM by ttoomm »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2007, 02:57:24 AM »
It really would have been better to ask this question outside of this topic about a work around for the Home version to avoid confusing those reading it later.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ttoomm

« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2007, 07:09:42 AM »
I don't want to confuse anybody
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 10:39:41 AM by ttoomm »

ginamarina

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2008, 07:34:13 AM »
I found the answer to this thread and reposted it here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=33269.0

JustMyOpinion

« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2008, 06:02:30 AM »
I am a brand new user, and this is the first thing I looked for once I got the free home version up and running.  Terrific work to identify this tidbit of what most of us look for after migrating from some other software.  I did a bit of testing using your technique, and I think I have proven that depending on the type of scan you currently have defined via the Simple User Interface > Scan Level option, is the one that runs when you use the scheduler to fire up Ashquick.  Now recognize my 'proof' is anecdotal in that I timed how long it took to run the scan on a relatively small dataset, and changing the Scan Level manually between each run.  If someone else has a better way to prove it, like have examples of the kind of mal or virus each type of scan would find and could populate a test dataset accordingly and run the scan multiple times to prove they functioned as advertised, would be appreciated.

Again, thanks for your work.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2008, 02:55:43 PM »
I don't know what is is you are trying to prove, but it would probably be best in a new topic as this topic is HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans w/ Free Version! not the differences between apples and oranges. The two scan methods (this hack and SUI scans) are entirely different and really can't be compared, this 'instructional' topic is a work around to allow Home users that wish to schedule scans (which can't be done in the SUI) a means of doing so.

As you can see this topic already stretches to 6 pages.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

aerialrave

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2009, 10:40:47 AM »
What password will i put when It Already asks for the password?

Edit--

NVM, It's not for free editions. Sorry.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:48:34 AM by aerialrave »