Author Topic: Ashserv's high CPU usage, and my computer freezes  (Read 7076 times)

PaulAuckNZ

Ashserv's high CPU usage, and my computer freezes
« on: August 17, 2008, 08:40:34 AM »
Hi folks,

Sometimes when I open my computer (I'm using XP SP3), and go through folders, I notice Ashserv as above goes up to 50% or so

I have seen similar threads in here, about Ashserv's high CPU usage

It also makes my computer (the program) freeze, and I have to kill its process to use it again.

This error (after I've killed the process appears) in event viewer

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Winlogon
Event ID: 1002
Description:
The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

The error in event viewer is the same as this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891608

However, as above, I'm not using the OS's on this site

The above site points to this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841356/

Which obviously I dont need (and it probably wont work), since its only for SP1.

I dont think XP is the prob, I'm pretty sure Ashserv is the main culprit.

It is on normal at the mo (in the Avast options).

So, any bright ideas on how to fix it (unless an update will fix the high cpu usage), and stop it from freezing my computer as well

Thanx

YoKenny

Re: Ashserv's high CPU usage, and my computer freezes
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 11:00:27 AM »
PaulAuckNZ how much RAM does the system have?

What is the speed and type of the CPU?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 04:24:27 PM »
The ashServ.exe is the main scanning engine of avast and it isn't unusual to see peeks in CPU usage during times of high file activity, like on and shortly after boot. Though simply opening folders shouldn't cause that on default settings.

You don't mention what the Sensitivity setting is of the Standard Shield (Normal is the default) is ?

What other security programs do you have installed, firewall, anti-spyware, etc. ?

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PaulAuckNZ

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 11:40:41 PM »
PaulAuckNZ how much RAM does the system have?

What is the speed and type of the CPU?

1GB, P4, 2.4

PaulAuckNZ

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 11:43:56 PM »
The ashServ.exe is the main scanning engine of avast and it isn't unusual to see peeks in CPU usage during times of high file activity, like on and shortly after boot. Though simply opening folders shouldn't cause that on default settings.

You don't mention what the Sensitivity setting is of the Standard Shield (Normal is the default) is ?

Normal

What other security programs do you have installed, firewall, anti-spyware, etc. ?

Malwarebytes, and trojan remover, no firewall besides XP's. BUT, neither of these are running in the background.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Nope no other AV program has been installed besides Avast

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 12:46:38 AM »
Thanks, that is very strange as I was hoping it would be something along that line as opening a folder shouldn't do that. I have XP Pro and I open a folder and I have virtually no activity, 2 files scanned.

I have seen something like this in the forums before recently but can't recall the topic. You could try a forum search for something like high cpu opening folders and see if that brings anything helpful.

I don't know if this was something about the folder options and how you display the files in the folder or if it happens to be extracting the icon to display with the file in the list, but avast is supposed to allow that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PaulAuckNZ

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 12:56:44 AM »
Ta David for the info. I'll do a search now, and see what I can find  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 01:23:50 AM »
Are you using home version or the trial of the pro?
The best things in life are free.

PaulAuckNZ

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 01:32:10 AM »
Oops my bad Pro trial. Which I'll replace shortly.

One thing I forgot to mention also, I havent noticed the shell restarted error in event viewer before (till now)

BUT previously, when I had to kill my computer's process, the icons on the taskbar and the desktop disappeared, and they never came back.

I had to reboot to fix it

BUT, usually when this happens (when my computer freezes, and I have to kill it, only the taskbar icons disappear, not the desktop icons). But they come back
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:34:15 AM by PaulAuckNZ »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 02:49:56 AM »
Did you schedule any scanning? ashServ.exe is the scanner and the resident protection.
The best things in life are free.

PaulAuckNZ

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 03:30:11 AM »
Did you schedule any scanning? ashServ.exe is the scanner and the resident protection.

Nope