Author Topic: Critical update  (Read 3505 times)

mypewter

Critical update
« on: August 18, 2008, 11:43:42 PM »
Correction
meant to say the icon had NO ID like MS or Avast

You are great! Thanks for  EXCELLENT suggestions

I only understand a few of them     ::)
will copy paste them- and try them.
Hopefully will be able to get rid of it

Could you please expound on my replies to your suggestions?
[should they only be done in the exact order?]

1. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again. [where is that?]
2. Clean your temporary files. [gotcha in my browser, right?]
3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. try DrWeb CureIT! instead. [just finished a scan but will re-do with archives- do this first, last??]
4. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than. [Gotcha -use means download one of them right?]
5. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster. [ Gotcha- if I find it..]
6. Make a HijackThis log to post here or, better, submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis. [aarrgghh what is runscanner log -- Is it the avast results log? What is online analysis - like a geek site?]
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster or Windows Advanced Care.[download the program, right?]

8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector. [gotcha - will it eradicate - if I do??]

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Critical update
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:20:01 AM »
You're on the server board but I can recognize the text as the 'general cleaning procedures'... maybe it's better to ask for help on the proper board (virus/worms or avast4 boards).
The best things in life are free.