Author Topic: Symantec gobbles up PC Tools  (Read 23093 times)

CharleyO

Re: Symantec gobbles up PC Tools
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 09:25:55 PM »

There may be no immediate changes nor intergration, but, you can be sure that both of these will happen ... given a little time.    :(

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 12:52:57 AM »
Hi CharleyO,

Did not you know how it works? "Moloch eats children" you know, here it gobbled PC Tools,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 12:22:13 PM »
I'd say this time it's a bit different.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 03:02:39 PM »
What do you know that we don't Vlk ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 03:08:13 PM »
I'd say this time it's a bit different.
What do you mean?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 04:40:53 PM »
Well, if you look at the AV industry at a broader view, you can see that the current situation can roughly be characterized like this: there are small players that keep taking considerable market shares, reducing the market shares of traditional giants like Symantec and McAfee. Of course, I'm talking about small players like AVG, ALWIL/avast and Avira (all offering free products, essentially).

Now, the big players are not blind, and especially the investors standing behind these big companies are not very happy. Particularly in Europe, the situation is quite serious, with AVG in the UK (~35% consumer market share), avast in France (~45% consumer market share) and Avira in Germany (~52% consumer market share).

Now, Symantec had a couple of possibilities of how to cope with the new situation. One of them was to start offering Norton Antivirus for free, but that wouldn't be too wise as it could hurt the value of the Norton brand (still considered by the company as "premium").

A better way to solve the problem was to launch a new "budget" brand - offering cheap (or even free) solutions under a new brand, but still under the wings of Symantec, regaining the lost market shares. They could either develop the products themselves, or, more easily, acquire another well-established smaller company that would give them what they need.

And I think PC Tools is going to serve exactly this purpose.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 04:55:21 PM »
Well, if you look at the AV industry at a broader view, you can see that the current situation can roughly be characterized like this: there are small players that keep taking considerable market shares, reducing the market shares of traditional giants like Symantec and McAfee. Of course, I'm talking about small players like AVG, ALWIL/avast and Avira (all offering free products, essentially).

Now, the big players are not blind, and especially the investors standing behind these big companies are not very happy. Particularly in Europe, the situation is quite serious, with AVG in the UK (~35% consumer market share), avast in France (~45% consumer market share) and Avira in Germany (~52% consumer market share).

Now, Symantec had a couple of possibilities of how to cope with the new situation. One of them was to start offering Norton Antivirus for free, but that wouldn't be too wise as it could hurt the value of the Norton brand (still considered by the company as "premium").

A better way to solve the problem was to launch a new "budget" brand - offering cheap (or even free) solutions under a new brand, but still under the wings of Symantec, regaining the lost market shares. They could either develop the products themselves, or, more easily, acquire another well-established smaller company that would give them what they need.

Cheers
Vlk

well..i think it makes sense...they will use pc tools to offer freeware products and "fight" the smaller companies who offer freewares(like grisoft,alwil,avira etc)....they are EVIL :P:P:P
but they dont know that people know what symantec is...so i dont think they will have a big success...avast and avg are the top rated freewares antivirus and pc tools av is buggy...no need to mention norton programs...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 04:58:37 PM by BJ_GeOrgE »
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

YoKenny

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »
Whenever Symantec puts its brand on anything whether Fee or Free I'll avoid it like the plague. 

When Symantec gobbled up Norton anti virus they became the largest AV vendor and they want to remain that way.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
One of them was to start offering Norton Antivirus for free, but that wouldn't be too wise as it could hurt the value of the Norton brand (still considered by the company as "premium").
They could go ahead with this, I'm quite sure the bloatware for free won't increase their market share. There are too much not-Norton users in the world. Of course, it will increase the number of people using Norton... but for free, will Symantec earn with this?

Do you think our reaction to Symantec action isn't a sign that they won't win the freeware market share?
I wish I could help you get your firewall as fast as possible...

Rafel

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2008, 06:41:42 PM »
Symantec buy competitors and dead them, simple as that.
Power quest and Sygate are the best exemples,hehehe.
PC tools AV will dead or in teh future it'll have the same engine as Norton.
It's the same as GM and all his brands o VAG (VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat...), Ford.
It has no sense two AV with different engines.
But we konw Symantec ever kills his "new acquisitions".
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 06:45:12 PM by Rafel »

gdiloren

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2008, 08:57:51 PM »

Cheers
Vlk
Vlk, I respect your point of view, but it's hard to understand why Symantec would want to take off the market off the Norton's to promote another new brand cheaper or free. Cheaper, they'll make less MONEY. Free, they'll make no money at all, they'll lose money. No for me, I see PCTools' FUTURE as BLACK and very dark! :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 09:07:38 PM »
Free, they'll make no money at all, they'll lose money.
Market share.
avast gets Pro users having a free version.
I don't think they will lose money. What I think is that they won't get smart users market share.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2008, 09:10:45 PM »
Hi gdiloren,

Cannot you understand the attitude, like the dog that does not eat because he does not want others to eat.

pol
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

gdiloren

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 11:11:34 PM »
Hi gdiloren,

Cannot you understand the attitude, like the dog that does not eat because he does not want others to eat.

pol

I see.
But it's "easier" to "kill" the guy... so to speak. :D
Less choice.
We're left with Norton BIG GIANT, and we...oh no...buy or at least are forced into it, somewhat.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:13:36 PM by gdiloren »

neal62

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2008, 11:23:46 PM »
Well, this ought to be interesting to see what happens. Hope I am around to see it, feel sure I will be.  :)