Author Topic: BSOD Loading Outlook Express  (Read 15323 times)

zeico

BSOD Loading Outlook Express
« on: May 26, 2003, 09:33:18 AM »
After installing email protection with Avast! 4.00.2 on my Win2K machine, I attempt to load OE6, but after loading the initial screen, I immediately get a BSOD (blue screen of death) and I have to reboot.  After rebooting, I can start OE6 - if I disable the email protection.  I went through the email wizard properly, I believe.  I use SBC DSL.

Any help here?????

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:BSOD Loading Outlook Express
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 09:58:45 AM »
A BSOD? :o

Do you have the dump file? (or at least the minidump)? Can you send it to my e-mail address? (not the full dump, it's huge).

And, are you saying that merely disabling the avast mail module prevents the BSOD from happening? That is strange, as the mail scanner actually doesn't have any kernel-mode components and therefore shouldn't be even able to cause anything like this... :-\

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

zeico

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 10:46:39 AM »
Well, I've tried it (enabling and disabling) numerous times, and it is true.  I also found out that even disabling it (the email protection) I still cannot check my mail when OE6 opens. This is because the POP3 setting is left at the 127.00.00.1 setting - instead of the original pop.sbcglobal.net.yahoo.com.

Interesting, too, is the fact that my Enternet300 (DSL) will not connect on reboot unless the email protection is disabled.  But, even disabling it will not allow me to check my mail account unless (as I said) I reset the 127.00.00.1 to my normal POP account at sbcglobal.

I checked on the minidump, but it is 0 bytes, and of course the memory.dmp is 523MB.  Please advise on this.

I appreciate your assistance very much, and look forward to hearing a solution to this problem.

Thank you,
Dick Zeisler

zeico

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 11:26:02 AM »
OK.....things have changed now.  Here's what happened:

First I enabled email protection.  OE6 loaded, but I immediately got the BSOD.  I let it run through the full memory.dmp, and it rebooted again.  Enternet300 (DSL) connected normally!  I opened the avast email wizard and removed the email protection.  Then, I opened OE6 (expecting the BSOD), but didn't get it this time!  It automatically checked my emails.  And, I checked and the address had been set correctly back to the pop.sbcglobal.net.yahoo.com (not the 127.00.00.1).  I checked Send and Receive and it functioned normally, too.

Memory dump is 523MB, the correct minidump still shows 0 bytes.

At this point, I am left with no email protection - unless I restart my Norton Anti-Virus again, of course.  I hope you have some additional suggestions and/or solutions.

Thank you,
Dick

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 06:44:07 PM »
Hmm, try generating the minidump. It can be set up in the control panel (System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery).

It should be only 64K in size - small enough to be sent by e-mail...

Thanks,
Vlk

zeico

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 07:31:20 PM »
Quick note.....this is what I receive when I try to download my emails in OE6:

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'zeisler@sbcglobal.net', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

I'll get you the minidump as soon as possible.

zeico

zeico

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2003, 07:53:50 PM »
Not too sure how to attach the .dmp file.  Should I reply to your email and attach it?  Or, how can I send it via this forum?

Please advise.

zeico

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2003, 09:45:37 PM »
I have no idea how to attach a file to your post (or whether it's possible at all), but I'm sure vlk will be happy when you send him the file by e-mail.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 09:03:04 AM »
zeico,

thanks for the minidump. I took a brief look at it, and two things immediately looked suspicious to me:

- you have some Symantec low-level stuff loaded - I'd guess Norton Personal Firewall, am I right? Symantec is notorious for not working well with avast (or vice versa? ;))...

- there is a driver called untagent.sys. What is it? Where did it come from (what program installed it)? Can you send me this file?

There is a bunch of other third-party drivers loaded in your system (like the hardware dongle - you do have a HASP dongle, right? ;)), but I'd bet for these two.

Vlk

zeico

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2003, 10:15:04 AM »
You're pretty sharp, aren't you?  You guessed it right on the untagent.sys because that's a leftover from an eTrust Computer Asses virus scanner I used over a year ago.  I'm removing it.

Second, the Norton deal.  I have SystemWorks 2003 installed, but have disabled the anti-virus software portion pretty well, I think - including the email (in and out) checker.  If you see anything from the minidump please let me know.

Third, mine - at age 64 - is more of a dangle than a dongle.  You are right about the tons of drivers, though. I have many programs installed, and you know how it is with Windows uninstallations.  More leftovers here than what my ex-wife used to fix for me over 20 years!

In the meantime, I'll get rid of the untagent.sys and try, try, try again. I'll let you know what happens, but please check on the Norton situation, if you will.

Thanks,
Dick

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 11:04:58 AM »
I think - actually am pretty sure -  it's the untagent.sys. The crash actually occured (if not directly inside) very near its code.

Norton is indeed another thing - but let's first try the eTrust orphan!

Vlk

zeico

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2003, 07:39:55 AM »
You were right! It was the untagent.sys!  Thanks a million!

Zeico