Author Topic: Is avast blocking Internet Explorer and how can I stop it?  (Read 37608 times)

Tammy636

Is avast blocking Internet Explorer and how can I stop it?
« on: August 19, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »
Hi all,
I'm very new to all this and not that computer minded so I would really appreciate it if any computer speak could be made easy for me! I downloaded avast after having a million problems with Norton. As soon as it had loaded internet explorer wouldnt work. So I looked on these forums and uninstalled the webshield. Internet explorer still didn't work but FireFox did. So I am currently using Firefox but I do much prefer IE... any ideas of things I can try to get IE working again?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is avast blocking Internet Explorer and how can I stop it?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 04:44:24 PM »
It has been said many times but I will repeat it again, avast doesn't block, but scans and alerts to infection, if that hasn't happened it isn't avast blocking.

Two issues in your particular problem, a) possibly your firewall blocking avast's web shield or b) remnants of Norton, a real pig to remove.

1. What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

2. How did you remove Norton ?

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tammy636

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:52:57 PM »
Just came back to say thanks a million, I found those hidden files and deleted the buggers!
Now I am back online with IE and avast seems to be working properly. I might even try and download the webshield now although I'm not sure whether I want to rock the boat again!
Anyway, thank you so much :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 08:08:32 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

There is no need to download the web shield it is an integral part of avast. Left click the avast 'a' icon, you will see a pop-up, On-Access Scanner window, click the Details... >> button. The pop-up will change displaying al the avast shields/providers, you should see the web shield is enabled and the Last Scanned:, Scanned total: figures are changing as you browse.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wyrmrider

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 09:33:39 PM »
HI
follow up on what DavidR suggests- have these providers turned ON
I have My web, Standard and Internet Mail set on high and do not see any degradation
some recommend standard on normal with mail and web on high
if you do not do p2p or IM or Outlook (not OE) then you can disable

IF using IE
install spywareblaster
"lock down" your IE
Spybot SD-Helper, Hosts, and Immunize also help to protect IE
Spywareblaster and Spybot tools will not conflict with Avast

johnnicoll

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 10:12:06 PM »
Avast is blocking my IE, if i turn off the web shield in the real time sheilds tab then internet works again in IE the same goes for the Mail Sheild and windows mail. so i can definatly say Avast does block internet access

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 11:22:51 PM »
johnnicoll ,

And the AV you used before Avast was?
What firewall is used?
What OS?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Jalio

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 09:06:42 PM »
I have the very same problem as johnnicoll, i can confirm IE is also blocking my IE.

Tarq57, you asked johnnicoll the questions shown above, im just trying to help solve a problem here, and I will share the answers to those questions if i may.

AV i had before - Avast
Firewall - windows firewall is turned off, however if avast has firewall then avast.
OS - WinXP SP3

I hope this helps guys.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 09:53:35 PM »
I have the very same problem as johnnicoll, i can confirm IE is also blocking my IE.

Tarq57, you asked johnnicoll the questions shown above, im just trying to help solve a problem here, and I will share the answers to those questions if i may.

AV i had before - Avast
Firewall - windows firewall is turned off, however if avast has firewall then avast.
OS - WinXP SP3

I hope this helps guys.
If you are running the free version of avast it doesn't have a firewall and you should have your windows one turned on. Make sure you have auto updates for definition's turned on in setting's and under proxy in setting's /update's/proxy setting's, make sure auto detect (use internet explorer setting's) is on.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:55:10 PM by craigb »

Jalio

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 03:08:44 AM »
If you are running the free version of avast it doesn't have a firewall and you should have your windows one turned on. Make sure you have auto updates for definition's turned on in setting's and under proxy in setting's /update's/proxy setting's, make sure auto detect (use internet explorer setting's) is on.

Ok, windows firewall is now turned on, checked the settings and all are as you said.

Its still blocking IE, also firefox.

aviator992

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 06:46:29 AM »

Ok, windows firewall is now turned on, checked the settings and all are as you said.

Its still blocking IE, also firefox.

Try my fix located here - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=65054.0

Jalio