Author Topic: New to the Board...  (Read 5260 times)

sox fan matt

New to the Board...
« on: August 19, 2008, 05:05:35 PM »
Hi all,
I have a few questions about avast since im recoming back to windows from linux. 

Since im buying a lenovo desktop with 3GB Ram, I was wondering if i could "autoscan" certain parts of my 500 GB System at certain times. Im not sure If I can. 

What is the difference between thev "Standard, quick, through scans" in terms of time?  I was thinking of running a through scan every month with standard scans every week.

How frequent are the definition updates and what other toools would you suggest if any  I was going to put spybot and Superantispyware on as well, is there much of a conflict with those software and Avast!?     

I am just trying to make sure i protect my investment:) 

Matt

wyrmrider

Re: New to the Board...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
I was wondering if i could "autoscan" certain parts of my 500 GB System at certain times. Im not sure If I can. 
no easily except with the PRO version but there are ways- comment someone?

What is the difference between thev "Standard, quick, through scans" in terms of time?  I was thinking of running a through scan every month with standard scans every week.

IS very system dependent, also if there is any interference with other programs
With Standard -on access - shield-- regular scans do not have to be often

Definition updates are very lightweight, incremental, daily or more often as needed

Spybot  update every Wednesday and immunize
Which browser are you using  SD-Helper?
Superantispyware and Spybot free are essentially on demand scanners only
are you going to be using t-timer for real time protection??(if not what??)
NO CONFLICTS WITH AVAST
if using IE then SPywareblaster or equilivant is required for Active X protection
HOSTS file
WinPatrol to monitor changes on- well your hosts file for one thing :)
Windows defender will also provide some real time and Win-patrol functions if MS software appeals to you
run secunia tool to be sure all apps are up to date

if you are not using Outlook, P2p, IM you can disable these providers

sox fan matt

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:09:09 PM »
Wyrm,

Thanks for the reply :)  I havent actually gotten the machine yet but as far as I know (it is a lenovo IdeaCenter K Series K2.3 (57076161) Pentium dual-core E2180(2.00GHz) 3GB DDR2 500GB Intel GMA 3100 with  Windows Vista Home Premium - Retail and Im not sure exactly what it will have on it yet, I must wait and see. 

I was going to use IE 7 (Obiviously) and the latest edition of Firefox, along with Spyware Blaster and possibly Comodo Firewall Pro (even though i've heard Vista's firewall is good too)
I think Windows Defender will be included with the computer, I'll see when I get it.  And I will getb that tool as well, just trying to get the pc first to see what is all on it.  Anyone have anymore suggestions feel free to chime in as well..Matt

wyrmrider

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 01:54:54 AM »
go with the comodo firewall
search this forum

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 03:47:43 AM »
i've heard Vista's firewall is good too
Yes it is, the inbound protection. Just does not have an easy outbound protection configuration.

Anyone have anymore suggestions feel free to chime in as well..Matt
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28395.msg231962#msg231962
The best things in life are free.

sox fan matt

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 05:11:26 AM »
I will use SpywareBlaster and Windows AdvancedCare, comodo firewall SuperAntispyware and avast! ANTIROOTKIT.  If I need anymore protection..I will see when my machine is up and running..Thanks all..:)

wyrmrider

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 05:19:55 AM »
windows advanced care or windows defender?
watch for conflicts with WAC

sox fan matt

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 05:32:50 AM »
i'll have to see what comes installed--lenovo's typically dont have much installed and defender may already be on there...i wont get advanced care then..i dont want conflicts :)

sox fan matt

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 05:01:04 PM »
Tech,

Is it worth getting comodo Firewall (logic tells me that 2 firewalls wouldnt be a good thing necessaracily cause startup and indiviual  tasks may be blocked

wyrmrider

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »
I think with Vista the built in firewall is turned off automatically but check this "gosip" out
YOu do not want 2 and Comodo is much better outbound
I do not know if WAC modules are available individually
if using WD you would not want  t-timer or NEED Win Patrol but WP has other features and would not conflict
great you are planning ahead
AMD PUMA laptop? Integrated graphics are much better than anything else with add in card optional
add in card can be disabled when not plugged in for power savings

sox fan matt

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 06:25:11 PM »
AMD PUMA laptop? Integrated graphics are much better than anything else with add in card optional..im not sure what you are referring to here, sorry.  If I have defender installed, I will forget Spybot ...I will get the comodo firewall and see how it plays with the system..Times are tough so, im not sure when im going to get it...

wyrmrider

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 07:32:10 PM »
see this thread
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38037.0

perhaps someone could detail the Vista firewall vs Comodo benefits?
My understanding that even with Vista tweeked the Comodo is better
but not running vista there is not a lot of incentive here to dig up the details
although I think the tests tell the story

sox fan matt

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 02:13:31 AM »
I should be getting the pc by this weekend.  One thing I thought of-- If it comes with a "trial" of norton, Would the Norton Removal Tool remove all the traces along with a seperate going into add/remove as well to remove symnatec?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 03:48:47 PM »
I would download the tool in advance on your existing system.
If it does come with a trial copy, Run the windows add remove programs to do a regular uninstall and reboot, now run the SymNRT (Symantec Norton Removal Tool) and reboot.

You should be good to install the latest version of avast, which you should also have downloaded to your existing system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security