Author Topic: avast! doesn't feel like an AV  (Read 16574 times)

PotatoMan

avast! doesn't feel like an AV
« on: August 20, 2008, 05:46:39 AM »
avast! IMHO doesn't look or feel like an AV, the avast! GUI looks like a media player...its hard to navigate. Thats why I use the Maclover OSX skin.I have enclosed a picture of what a antivirus should look like IMO.

for being such a terrible AV, norton sure has a nice design :D

gdiloren

Re: avast! doesn't feel like an AV
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 06:00:47 AM »
That's personal taste. Totally personal!!! You don't judge a thing by appearance. Avast has good detection and is an excellent AV. I think NORTON is BLOATED! :)

PotatoMan

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 06:23:22 AM »
I totally agree!

I wasn't saying avast! was a bad AV! I have been using it for over a year happily!

I am just saying that the current avast! GUI is dull and hard to navigate and I never said ONCE that Norton was better than avast!, JUST THE DESIGN.

Read the whole post before you go replying.

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 06:31:55 AM »
I agree that the default skin is confusing, But that's suppose to change with ver. 5

I usually use the aVist skin on customers computers, Much less confusing.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:39:47 AM by marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

gdiloren

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 06:35:41 AM »
I totally agree!

I wasn't saying avast! was a bad AV! I have been using it for over a year happily!

I am just saying that the current avast! GUI is dull and hard to navigate and I never said ONCE that Norton was better than avast!, JUST THE DESIGN.

Good. I don't hate the NORTON GUI too but it was my first AV on this PC (pre-installed by the manufacturer) and it took me a while to understand it fully in the trial I got so their DESIGN is not so easy either!! :)
The AVIRA GUI is not easy either, it takes a while to get accustomed, that's the word "accustomed". There is no such thing to me as pretty and I got accustomed to the OLD AVAST SKIN and don't find anything to it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:44:22 AM by gdiloren »

PotatoMan

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 07:02:12 AM »
I totally agree!

Good. I don't hate the NORTON GUI too but it was my first AV on this PC (pre-installed by the manufacturer) and it took me a while to understand it fully in the trial I got so their DESIGN is not so easy either!! :)
The AVIRA GUI is not easy either, it takes a while to get accustomed, that's the word "accustomed". There is no such thing to me as pretty and I got accustomed to the OLD AVAST SKIN and don't find anything to it.

I downloaded a file that I thought was a trainer for a game I had, and it turned out to be Trojan.Vundo. Norton said it had blocked it. The next day I have MalWarrior on my computer. Norton said it removed it. I installed avast! and it detected Trojan.Vundo, and MalWarrior still in the file system. I ran VundoFix and MBAM and fixed it :D

$40 dollars for a crappy resource hogger...Can't refund it now...:(

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 07:05:22 AM »
Given the money Symantec is milking annually from its user base they can afford any graphics designer they like.  avast - giving many millions of us a free ride - may not have so much money to throw at graphics while they concentrate on being the best at being a great antivirus product.  

Seems pretty clear to me also that gdiloren did read your whole post before replying.  Many of us do - but you will get what you get in this forum of fellow avast users.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 07:36:12 AM »
For those of us who remember the brushed-metal panelled avast! 32 UI and its earnest but hilarious "Your computer is infected with a wirus" warning, the current 4.8 UI is a great improvement.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 08:02:02 AM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

jerry12

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 12:06:23 PM »
i had Norton 360 right after it came out payed over 60.00 for it and i got a virus that 360 didn't detect it really screw with my system i had to get CA virus scan to get it off my computer so i am not to happy with Norton.  >:(
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:08:04 PM by jerry12 »

crow

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 12:23:33 PM »
avast! IMHO doesn't look or feel like an AV, the avast! GUI looks like a media player...its hard to navigate. Thats why I use the Maclover OSX skin.I have enclosed a picture of what a antivirus should look like IMO.

for being such a terrible AV, norton sure has a nice design :D

You can always change the skin(38 choices!!).
See the following link:

http://www.avast.com/eng/skins.html

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 12:26:24 PM by crow »

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 12:32:47 PM »
PotatoMan: you can try (and buy) the Pro version of Avast... its Enhanced interface looks much different and is very useful from my point of view..

PotatoMan

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 01:04:46 PM »
PotatoMan: you can try (and buy) the Pro version of Avast... its Enhanced interface looks much different and is very useful from my point of view..

I have avast! professinal.

I think this would look good (badly modified kaspersky)

gdiloren

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 07:29:02 PM »
What a shame we have complex so we have to carbon copy main AV brand names (Kasperky, Norton...). Those who don't like AVAST should clear and cut pay for the product they think would fit their taste. We don't sell or offer FREE NORTON OR KASPERKY CARBON COPIES! ;)

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 12:08:39 AM »
I have avast! professinal.

then you don't have to use the simple "radio-style" interface.. :)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 04:01:57 AM »
Actually, I rather like the Avast gui. Especially the skin szc-kde by Sasha Zivanovich.
It takes a little time to learn to navigate, but then, Avast is very configurable.
Like any program with several options, it just takes a little time to learn.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.