Author Topic: avast! doesn't feel like an AV  (Read 16573 times)

PotatoMan

Re: avast! doesn't feel like an AV
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 06:06:14 AM »
What a shame we have complex so we have to carbon copy main AV brand names (Kasperky, Norton...). Those who don't like AVAST should clear and cut pay for the product they think would fit their taste. We don't sell or offer FREE NORTON OR KASPERKY CARBON COPIES! ;)

Your starting to make me mad. I don't want Norton, i don't want Kaspersky, I want avast! and I want it to look nice. I don't judge an AV by my "taste", I judge it by how well it protects me, and avast! gets an A+ in that category so you can just silence yourself.

I paid to get avast! professional.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 08:18:17 AM »
I want avast! and I want it to look nice.

I am sure avst! 5 will look nice...so all we have to do is wait ;)

But IMHO v4.8 already look nice with didifferent skins
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

PotatoMan

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 08:24:22 AM »
I want avast! and I want it to look nice.

I am sure avst! 5 will look nice...so all we have to do is wait ;)

But IMHO v4.8 already look nice with didifferent skins

I love the Maclover skin, although I don't love Macs, I love that skin :D

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 09:06:48 AM »
I love the Maclover skin, although I don't love Macs, I love that skin :D

Haha...I'm also using that skin :)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Faizfast6

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 10:01:21 AM »
Me too.  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 03:21:56 PM »
You can always change the skin(38 choices!!).
Yeah... power of choosing, power of configuration... why do people complain when they could choose?

To the ones that could never saw avast Pro interface...
The best things in life are free.

PotatoMan

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 02:22:38 AM »
You can always change the skin(38 choices!!).
Yeah... power of choosing, power of configuration... why do people complain when they could choose?

To the ones that could never saw avast Pro interface...

I have seen the avast! advanced skin, it is all morphed together on my computer. I have low screen resolution.

And also, are you like one of those people who get on forums and whenever someone says something, you either have a better answer or a reason why they are wrong? I mean seriously, why would we complain? Because THERE WON'T BE SELECTABLE SKINS IN avast! 5! SO WE HOPE IT HAS A GOOD GUI BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE CHOICES.

(sighs)...

Gort

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 04:40:31 AM »
For those of us who remember the brushed-metal panelled avast! 32 UI and its earnest but hilarious "Your computer is infected with a wirus" warning, the current 4.8 UI is a great improvement.  ;D

Reminds me of a line from a Star Trek movie, "excuse me, where do you keep your nuclear wessels"?  ;D

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 05:21:56 AM »
"Wiruses", "Nuclear wessels"...  Okay, I had to dig up the old thing just to hear it again - and I may have been mis-remembering. I think he actually does say virus with a very soft v. Rename the attached 'virfound.txt' to 'virfound.wav' and judge for yourself.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 05:29:42 AM »
And the avast 32 version 3 interfaces...

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 05:31:01 AM »
Could his be the model for version 5?  ;D

gdiloren

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 05:44:58 AM »
There will always be SOMEBODY, you know, that won't be too happy with the new GUI. I, for myself, I'm nobody to pretend imposing mine. As DavidR already stated the software for the skins in AVAST 5 will no longer be available. So we will have to cope with it. Why not open a contest? Vote for it? I don't know, that would be a great idea. ::)

PotatoMan

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 07:28:47 AM »
There will always be SOMEBODY, you know, that won't be too happy with the new GUI. I, for myself, I'm nobody to pretend imposing mine. As DavidR already stated the software for the skins in AVAST 5 will no longer be available. So we will have to cope with it. Why not open a contest? Vote for it? I don't know, that would be a great idea. ::)

I agree, a contest would be amazing. I vote Sasha Zianonvich!

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008, 08:33:53 AM »
I somehow thought that avast was a commercial enterprise ... one that makes money and continues to exist by selling its products. 

It is also gracious enough to provide a free product to home users.  It amazes me that the users of its free home product believe that our views matter more than very little in the decision making process in Prague. 

What must matter in those decisions is what the major money contributors care about - none of the views expressed here about how "pretty" avast is matter one whit  - avast needs to make lots of money to continue to provide our free service from them.

You can post and whitter on to your heart's content on what you want avast to look like and it will not change anything - avast needs to be the best antivirus (and perhaps the best firewall) product it can be - that is what will bring the money in - the "prettiness" must always be a minor concern.

PotatoMan

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 09:40:08 AM »
I somehow thought that avast was a commercial enterprise ... one that makes money and continues to exist by selling its products. 

It is also gracious enough to provide a free product to home users.  It amazes me that the users of its free home product believe that our views matter more than very little in the decision making process in Prague. 

What must matter in those decisions is what the major money contributors care about - none of the views expressed here about how "pretty" avast is matter one whit  - avast needs to make lots of money to continue to provide our free service from them.

You can post and whitter on to your heart's content on what you want avast to look like and it will not change anything - avast needs to be the best antivirus (and perhaps the best firewall) product it can be - that is what will bring the money in - the "prettiness" must always be a minor concern.

(sighs)

As you are most likely right, we have the right to hope and discuss, and for you to wave that off and tell us basically that no one besides "us" as in the people who have agreed and contributed to this thread, cares what we think, is just beyond me/

I care and love avast! as much as anyone on these forums, I have wasted many words defending it, telling people the facts and why avast! is better than any other free antivirus.

I don't just want avast! to be "pretty" as I clearly explained to tech above^.

avast! also has many other things that need improvement on. For example:

*Better detection and removal of rogue fake-antispyware and fake-antivirus, including, but not limited to, PCPrivacyCleaner. AntiSpywareMaster, and System Defender.
*Needs Detection and removal of adware.
*Needs Firewall
*Script Blocker compatibility for other browsers including FireFox and Opera.
*Fix the many false positives
*Better GUI
*Better handling and repair of infected files
*Less memory usage for NT/2K/XP

So as you can see, Alanf, I am not focused completely on making avast! "pretty", and perhaps I DO care about the quality of the program then I do its "prettiness".

Now, go think of another sarcastic response. Can't wait to hear it :D