Author Topic: Web Shield protection of other browsers?  (Read 3369 times)

OldRebel2

Web Shield protection of other browsers?
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:04:57 PM »
I use MSN Explorer browser with MSN dialup ISP.  I have never been able to get the Avast web shield to work when I am using MSN Explorer, even though it does work when I use IE outside MSN. I have experimented with editing the Avast .ini file and with adding port numbers into the settings in Avast. Nothing seems to make this work for me.

I have also used Kaspersky's product, and it has the option to 'monitor all network ports'. With that setting, I found that their product did seem to work with the MSN Explorer browser.  I suspect that the same would be true of the AOL client browser, but I have not messed with AOL in quite some time.

Is there any way to make Avast webshield monitor all network ports?  Or perhaps is that a feature that might be added to a later version? 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Web Shield protection of other browsers?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 04:23:26 AM »
I have never been able to get the Avast web shield to work when I am using MSN Explorer, even though it does work when I use IE outside MSN.
Does it use https connections. avast can't scan encrypted/secure connections.

Is there any way to make Avast webshield monitor all network ports?
It just scans the port 80 by default. Which port does the MSN Explorer use?
You can change the OptinProcess option of the WebShield section of avast4.ini file section. Click 'Settings' in my signature bellow and search for it ;)
The best things in life are free.

OldRebel2

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 04:49:32 AM »
I'm not quite sure about the port.  I use dial up. When I'm online, IE connections settings show that a proxy server is being used with port 9022.
HJT says:
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:9022
I'm not using the image of the OS with Avast on it at the moment.  When I restore that image, I'll tinker around with Avast settings. In the past, I tried adding msn.exe, but that didn't seem to work. There's also the MSN accelerator and the MSN Connection Center.
MSNACCEL.EXE   TCP   Outbound (stream)   127.0.0.1   3967   65.54.155.20   32769   01:41:19   350   5121   
Actually, msnaccel.exe is the only process connecting to an outside IP address at this very moment except for msnmsgr.exe (& another security suite that is currently installed for the moment).

I'm a bit in 'over my head' here.  LOL  I'm trying to make plans for the near future when I will be using Avast on a more permanent basis.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 08:19:52 PM »
What happens if you add 9022 to the redirection ports into WebShield?
What happens if you add msnmsgr.exe into the Optin processes?
The best things in life are free.

OldRebel2

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 11:11:35 PM »
I don't know right now because Avast isn't installed at the moment, but I will check back to this thread and report my progress when I get Avast reinstalled.

At the moment, I have just installed Alltell wireless for connecting the Internet and have my hands full figuring it out!  LOL  Looks better than dialup!

BTW - I might also have to opt in the msn accelerator. That seems to be maintaining the connection once msn.exe finishes signing in.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:27:27 PM »
Use of web accelerators generally seem to cause compatibility problems with the Webshield. 

OldRebel2

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 11:37:49 PM »
Well, the good news is that the MSN accelerator is now disabled because I have MSN set to connect via the Alltel LAN connection.   Looking good!  Beats the heck out of dialup!  It will probably eliminate the MSN proxy business also.  Looking now ---Yep!  NO proxy showing up in IE connections. 

I suspect that Avast webshield will be working normally now. I'll let you know whenever I reinstall Avast.