Other > Viruses and worms
Questions regarding key logging software that was installed on a laptop
<< < (7/7)
ahullsb:
Update: I was finally able to get my hands on her computer again. I used the removal tools to get rid of old AV's. I reinstalled avast and it found nothing in the boot scan. I also ran malwarebytes which also found nothing. Spybot found a lot including some trojans it claims. We are running the first thorough scan of Avast right now. I don't see Winantivirus 2006 in the program files or anything, but did find it's icon in the control panel still.  >:( I also installed threatfire and it found something initially and we quarantined it. When this final scan is done should I post a log from Kaspersky or a new HJT log or anything? I think my mom and my girlfriends computers are getting close to being officially cleaned! :) Any suggestions on how to tell whether Winantivirus is defeated or not? Or how to get the leftover icon out of the control panel? Thanks in advance for the help everyone.

Her protection is now as follows. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. This is on a older Vaio running xp. It's a pentium 4 around 2.7 Ghz if I remember correctly. Only about 512-1 Gb of RAM:

Comodo firewall
Avast Home Edition
Threatfire
MBAM (free version)
Spybot S&D (SD helper & Tea Timer)
WinPatrol
wyrmrider:
It would have been nice if you had posted what trojans spybot found
you might google them
did you quarantine?
If only spybot found them you might want to post your spybot log here
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22
read the stickle to see what they want on a first post--  possibly a hjt or something
post a link to this thread
and DO NOT ANSWER your first post their till some one helps you
of course we will be interested if they are fp's or something we missed

your  list looks good
if mom uses IE add Spywareblaster by Javacool for active x protection
I'd also recommend MVPS or HPHosts
neither are resource intensive
with spybot be sure to update and reimmunize every Wednasday

Do you still have Windows Defender?
I have no problem with Windows Defender but do NOT have both it and T-timer
Windows Defender is updated regularly and makes a fine on-demand scanner if you are not using the real time
You have made great progress
where's the cookies?
ahullsb:
THanks for the quick response. I ran the spybot scan last night before leaving her house and my girlfriend called me this morning with the results. I told her to select "fix the selected problems." I realized that I wasn't sure whether spybot logged these or not. Guess I will research that now. I'm assuming if you are recommending to post my spybot log that there must be one available. :) Threatfire found something as well that I quarantined to determine whether it was a false positive or not. I will post what it found as well.

I will add MVPS to her computer as you suggested. She does use I.E sometimes.

My apologies for muddying up my threads a little. I use Windows Defender on MY vista machine and Spybot as well, without Tea Timer. Her computer is an older xp laptop so I downloaded Spybot with Tea Timer and SD helper. She does not have Windows Defender. She does have WinAntivirus2006 in her control panel though. That is still driving me crazy. As soon as I get info from spybot I will post any info here, and I will definitely link them to this thread.

Give me an address and I'll send the cookies. :) Both my mom and girlfriend are teachers so between the two of them I get the best!
wyrmrider:
MVPS will work for any browser- good move
she will save lots of download time of worthless stuff as shown by all the blank spots and site not found messages- tell her she is not missing anything useful

When you say control panel do you mean add remove programs?
what happens when you click it?
If there is nothing  for the shortcut to go to then there are utilities to remove the listing (shortcut)
I use the one in WinPatrol but there are many others

Uh What did she find
just cookies I hope :)
If there are any significant spybot hits post them up even if spybot quarantined them
or Threatfire

The Spybot forum is very busy so let's be sure of that there is a real problem before we bother their Malware removal forum  If we have false positives we'll post in the Spybot S&D FP forum here
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?s=3bd3ee897bceb1a9b44b4ade0f233a97&f=16
ahullsb:
I know spybot claimed to find trojans. I don't know if any were false positives. The WinAntivirus2006 is listed literally in "control panel." It is not in add/remove programs, and there aren't any program files that I can find. The only option for the icon in the control panel is create a shorcut and open. When I clicked open nothing happened, so I'm not sure if the program is still running, or whether it is a leftover icon...I will check the utility in win patrol, but that was why I wondered whether I should post another log to make sure it is not active anymore. I will post the spybot and threatfire logs as soon as I get to her computer again!
Navigation
Message Index
Previous page

Go to full version