Author Topic: What is the best av,Avira or Avast?  (Read 18132 times)

johny_chan

What is the best av,Avira or Avast?
« on: August 22, 2008, 02:12:19 PM »
I used Avast! 4.8 for more than one year, but i heard that avira has better detection rate and has less false position than avast......Although that, avast has a function that avira do not has---boot-time scan, it can scan malware and virus at booting time without disturbing the Windows memory...Am I need to install avira premium?

Macintosh

Re: What is the best av,Avira or Avast?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 02:54:25 PM »
I used avira it is a good av and it didn't slow my computer But I didn't like their umbrella symbol on my system tray ;D I like avast spinning balls and avira free version doesn't have rootkit protection but avast free version has :)You should try both because a antivirus which worked well on one computer may not work well on anpoher computer :)

Offline bri

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • U.S.A
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 04:00:43 PM »
avira has it share of fp's,avira free does have antirootkit scan,i like avast alot better plus the support in this forum is unmatched.

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Free your soul and let it fly
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 04:07:08 PM »
Having Tried Avira before and Avast! I would pick Avast! any day over Avira, sure Avira has better detection rates but In my honest opinion Avast! makes up for it in sheer number of shields (web shield, IM shield, P2P shield ect.) and added on top of that the web shield and the ability to do a boot time scan? Avast! is the clear winner but thats just my opinion of course, give both of them a try (at different times) and see which one your prefer.
Avast!  2014 beta - Sandboxie - K9 Web Protection

wyrmrider

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 05:40:10 PM »
If you have avast up and running
AND COMPLETLY REMOVED YOUR PREVIOUS AV
you will get a negative benefit moving to AntiVir (which is also an excellent program IMHO)
look ELSEWHERE if you think you need additional protection
where are your risks?
what other anti spyware, anti malware protection do you have?
There are MANY approaches and no ONE is best for everyone
Have you looked at HIPS, Threatfire type things, t-timer, win patrol, an anti trojan?
lots of things would be more productive than a simple switch in AV

start with secunia inspector

gdiloren

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 06:05:24 PM »
I think AVAST 4 is best for normal users, it has many skins and far les FP than AVIRA http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38058.0. The pretender better detection of AVIRA over AVAST is not significant because of it's high number of FP. Then I found AVIRA ACTIVE GUARD less manoeuverable than AVAST. All things go towards AVAST. :)

micky77

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 09:08:27 PM »
I used Avast! 4.8 for more than one year, but i heard that avira has better detection rate and has less false position than avast......Although that, avast has a function that avira do not has---boot-time scan, it can scan malware and virus at booting time without disturbing the Windows memory...Am I need to install avira premium?
Firstly Avira premium is not free.Regarding F/Ps Avira has dramatically reduced the amount it reports,to say a year ago(av comparatives ).Also imho, samples sent for analysis are quickly acted upon,I sent a f/p which was updated the day after.Avast is known for not updating new malware samples quickly.Avira does not have a boot time scan,but has a rescue cd,updated daily.Regarding forums,Avast is famous for being friendly and helpful,whereas the Avira forum is more serious,much more input from moderators.
I'm only a novice, as are a lot of people on this forum, imho, Avast is perfectly adequate,but other things are important,like backing up your pc,with something like Acronis,and using programs like SandboxIE,returnil, and Comodo firewall.When I had Avast I liked it,I like Avira a bit better  ;D

wyrmrider

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 10:31:17 PM »
I tend to not fully agree with Mickey77
I have avast and antivir on several different machines
I do not see any difference in FP response- it varies for both but for FP's sent in through the forum Avast is very responsive
Antivir sometimes just completly screws up and no matter what fix it will not without a complete reinstall
usually at that point I change to avast
Avast is easier on update resources - especially good for those on dial up
antivir does not have the broad range of OS support of Avast
As far as detection rates the winner will vary day to day- is it your lucky day?
Much better to look at other parts of your security system than to debate which is best detections.

glidorean
normal users ask- what's a skin?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 12:10:17 AM »
sure Avira has better detection rates
Even nowadays? Are you sure?
I'm pretty confident that quite some of new viruses are being added to avast database before then Avira. I've tested myself, much more than once, using VirusTotal.
I think avast is more flexible, more configurations available (including boot time scanning) and, for sure, better support.
The best things in life are free.