Author Topic: [SOLVED] Avast professional and Live hotmail access thru IE  (Read 7215 times)

webbs

[SOLVED] Avast professional and Live hotmail access thru IE
« on: August 22, 2008, 03:32:52 PM »
Installed professional trial version of Avast 4 days back and now can't access Hotmail via Internet Explorer. Note: I am not trying to access Hotmail via Outlook Express. But thru IE.

I read in the forums and turned off Web shield. I can access OK now. But I don't want to turn it off every time. So is there any workaround to keep webshield on with hotmail access?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 05:15:38 PM by webbs »

wyrmrider

Re: Avast professional and Live hotmail access thru IE
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 04:35:43 PM »
I use hotmail no problems
you open IE and type in the address bar WWW.Hotmail.com hit enter
what happens? any error messages?
can you rt click on the ball and check the log?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 06:14:57 PM »
If you read the forums to find out about disabling the web shield you should have also seen the bit about your firewall, which you haven't mentioned anything about.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet to browse, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

webbs

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 08:58:03 PM »
I use hotmail no problems
you open IE and type in the address bar WWW.Hotmail.com hit enter
what happens? any error messages?
can you rt click on the ball and check the log?

If I enter www.hotmail.com > enter > first I See page not found error. I refreshed the page > goes to Windows Live hotmail login page.

Nothing in error log.

thank you.

webbs

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 08:59:51 PM »

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet to browse, this will force the firewall to ask permission again.

I don't have any firewall installed (if you mean like software like Zonealarm). But I am on Windows XP. It has firewall? Where to look for it?

thanks.

wyrmrider

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 10:08:28 PM »
have you run CCLeaner to clean out browser cache ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 10:44:51 PM »
I don't have any firewall installed (if you mean like software like Zonealarm). But I am on Windows XP. It has firewall? Where to look for it?

The XP Firewall if enabled doesn't have any outbound protection, so 'shouldn't' block the web shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

webbs

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 02:29:07 PM »
PROBLEM SOLVED! Well atleast to me ...

Thanks to wyrmrider  :)

All y'day I have been testing hotmail login. So the following worked for me.

I was accessing the following url to access hotmail as it was bookmarked in my Favs: (I think it is old login form for hotmail)
http://login.passport.net/uilogin.srf?id=2

All y'day I have been accessing hotmail thru the following url WITH OUT any problem: (It was taking me to Wndows live login page)
http://www.hotmail.com/

I switched back to old url > problem to access appeared again.

I am posting it here because, may be anybody can use this tip. It worked for me.

thanks.