Author Topic: How do i get Avast to keep scaning?  (Read 3224 times)

Joecephus

How do i get Avast to keep scaning?
« on: August 22, 2008, 09:28:14 PM »
Whenever i scan my computer and avast! finds something it puts a box up warning me of what it has found, which is nice, but it also stops scanning until i close the warning box, Is there a way to set avast! to keep scanning until it is done and show a list of every virus,etc. that it finds? ???

wyrmrider

Re: How do i get Avast to keep scaning?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 10:06:30 PM »
Answer 1  NO
Answer 2  Buy the Pro version
Answer 3  put in a dummy infection in C:/ so it gets found quick, and you can then click "remember this decision" and go to bed  :)
Answer 4  With Avast On Access scanner you really do not have to do complete scans so often

gdiloren

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 10:23:14 PM »
Answer 4  With Avast On Access scanner you really do not have to do complete scans so often
I don't agree here. A complete thorough scan is needed from time to time (my experience). Let's say a virus wasn't in the definitions when it got on your pc, then 2-3 days after it is in the def. and since it is not active it isn't detected or it's not in the memory yet. That's my view.

wyrmrider

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 11:18:22 PM »
good view IMHO
just not daily as some do
the "ON Access" scanner should get them when they try to run
also all of the encrypted or packed files that do not get checked by a regular scan anyway also get checked "on access"

I usually just run one of the on-line scans instead
thus getting a second opinion at the same time

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 11:51:02 PM »
It's available only in Professional version (see picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285).

In Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" as soon as the first virus warning appears, and click on "No action" button. This way, nothing will be done and you will be presented the results at the end (and you can perform actions from there).

Well, that's the way it is, I am afraid; you may call it a limitation of the Home Edition of avast!. In the Professional Edition, you can configure the task to perform automatic actions (or, don't do anything).
In the Home version, you may check the "Don't show again" checkbox in the Virus warning dialog - but only after the first virus has been found (because you won't see the virus dialog until then).

A complete thorough scan is needed from time to time (my experience). Let's say a virus wasn't in the definitions when it got on your pc, then 2-3 days after it is in the def. and since it is not active it isn't detected or it's not in the memory yet. That's my view.
I agree. Monthly is a good schedule ;)
The best things in life are free.