Author Topic: What's being scanned?  (Read 7155 times)

IanG

What's being scanned?
« on: May 26, 2003, 10:37:37 AM »
Apologies if this is a standard newbie question, but I guess I'm missing something!  Regardless of whether I specify local disks or select them explicitly, even with a thorough scan, the final report says the size of the files checked is only about 25% of the total.  Not only that, but the log shows things like text files and dlls as password protected archives.  Any idea what's going on?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2003, 10:38:37 AM by IanG »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:What's being scanned?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 03:27:29 PM »
Not really a standard newbie question... ;)

The reported size can be little tricky because the 'Quick' and 'Normal' scans do not check the files in their entirety, they just check parts of them, hence the resulting total size of scanned data can be much lower than the sum of file sizes (especially when you have large data files stored on the disk).
However, this is different in the case of the 'thorough scan'! This is really suspicious! Have you examined the log - have it really scanned all your files (haven't it missed something)? What about the number of files tested, does it match the actual number of files on your disks?

About the password protected archives - it can be that there really is an embedded (password protected) archive in the module. Could you please send me a couple of such files? So I could check out what's really going on here... :)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

IanG

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 12:29:43 AM »
Vlk,thanks for the quick reply!

First of all, the problem with the locked archives isn't a problem at all - I was confused by Avast reporting the contents of the zip files rather than the zip file names.  The report is correct!

Matching the numbers of files is tricky, for the same reason - Avast includes the number of files included in archives but I don't have anything else that will report that.  Avast is reporting more files than TreeSize though, so I think it's looking at every file.  So, that leaves me with TreeSize & Explorer saying I've used 53Gbyte, while Avast says it's checked 24 Gbyte.  I'm sure previous scans were just under 14 Gbyte, too! ???

Cheers

Ian G.

IanG

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 12:56:46 PM »
I've found the culprits! Avast is having problems with large avi files - I don't know what the threshold is, but I scanned a single 3.5 Gbyte file and Avast reported the size as negative!

Cheers

Ian G.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 01:34:05 PM »
Oops, really? ;D
Shame on us >:(

Such a beginner's bug -- sorry :-[

I will make sure it gets fixed asap...
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 01:35:49 PM »
I thought .avi internal limit is 2GB  ;)
Well, I know, there are extensions...

IanG

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 04:14:20 PM »
Such a beginner's bug -- sorry :-[

I'll start complaining when I stop making mistakes! ;D

Cheers

Ian G.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 04:16:20 PM by IanG »