Author Topic: Ques about intalling Avast 4 home and Vista  (Read 9925 times)

ahullsb

Ques about intalling Avast 4 home and Vista
« on: August 24, 2008, 01:54:53 AM »
I read somewhere that I am supposed to select "run as administrator" every time I install or uninstall a program. I have UAC turned off, so do I still need to do this? Also, I installed Avast, but noticed after that there was some random files leftover from AVG and possibly Norton which originally came on the machine. I used both of their removal tools, should I reinstall Avast in case their were conflicts? Or should I not worry about it?

One more question. For protection I am using Online Armor (firewall), Avast 4 Home for Anti Virus. For spyware I have spywareguard and spyware blaster. Are these sufficient to combat any spyware, malware, viruses or should I have something else. If I added something like Malwarebytes with real time protection would it conflict with any of the above listed programs? I just want to get confirmation that I am finally protected so I can be done with this. haha. Thank you in advance.

wyrmrider

Re: Ques about intalling Avast 4 home and Vista
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 03:05:29 AM »
Not knowing Vista but I too have heard the "run as administrator"
If you install an anti-spyware with real time capabilities you would not need spywareguard
keep spywareblaster
for free real time there is spywareterminator (do NOT install the AV or toolbar,
SpywareDoctor via Google Toolbar (uncheck everything else you do not want) and SPybot's T-Timer

For paid there are
MBAM, as you mentioned
SuperAntiSPyware
Webroot Spysweeper (without AV)
Sunbelt CounterSpy (without AV)
and a few others

if you find any comparisons post em up
What to do-how to proceed?
Personal opinions here
I'd Install HPHosts or MVPS Hosts
I'd install Spybot search and destroy with SD-Helper and T-timer options
update and Immunize (and re update and re-immunize every Wednasday
If for some reason t-timer does not work for you then try SPyware terminator OR SPywareDOctor options  ONLY ONE
before purchasing anything
I'd install Free WinPatrol to monitor and protect my hosts file

You might also want to see if ThreatFire or similar works for you
There is no limit to protection schemes
Think prevention and HIPS

post back what you decide

ahullsb

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 03:25:36 AM »
I downloaded MBAM's free version. I'm guessing I pay for the real time protection? At this point I've installed and uninstalled so many programs based on recommendations that for 25 bucks it wouldn't bother me if MBAM is sufficient. Also since running Vista, I have windows defender and it runs real time protection from my understanding. Is this an example of not wanted real time protection from MBAM?

I'm not quite sure what HP Hosts is or how it works exactly. I just read a brief description about entering websites into a search bar or something. But I don't know what it's designed to do. I used to have Spybot, but other posters have claimed that there were better options out there now, and so I uninstalled it a few days ago. Are one of my above mentioned programs replacing it? Or should I add it back to the list?

Again I'm not sure what WinPatrol is, but I will start researching it now. Same goes for Threatfire

wyrmrider

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 04:23:59 AM »
Right
you should have a really good reason for ditching Windows Defender for MBAM or any of the other's I mentioned for real time protection
For Scanners - Well it depends on what infection you have and of course you usually do not know ahead of time

Any one who puts down Spybot does not know of what they speak
The Malware Bytes forum recommends it as second Choice
Spybot's SD-Helper is a must if running IE (again unless you have a really good reason not to)
I Update and Immunize every Wednesday 
do NOT install T-timer with Windows Defender

see this
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
do not get confused- really simple and does work

one of the first things to do is to run Secunia Software Inspector and get all your apps updated

ahullsb

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 04:55:44 AM »
Thank you. I really do appreciate the help. I do consider myself a novice at best here so I want to make sure I do this properly.

1. The freeware version of MBAM does not have real time protection and that is fine, because I am using windows defender for that correct?
2. I use firefox instead of ie, so do I not need spybot s&d? Or should I run it periodically as well? If so I DO NOT install tea timer and SD-helper correct? Or no tea timer but
3. I will take your advice and install mvps
4. WinPatrol is something I should add as well correct?

So that brings me to: mvps, winpatrol, Online Armor, Avast, MBAM Free (without real time protection), Spywareblaster and spyware guard (spyware guard I can remove because of Windows Defender)?

Should I add or remove anything from this list? And thanks again for helping a rookie. Hopefully I can keep myself protected now and teach my mom and girlfriend to do the same. Right now they probably just wear little condoms on their fingers to prevent viruses.

wyrmrider

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 05:51:58 AM »
Thank you. I really do appreciate the help. I do consider myself a novice at best here so I want to make sure I do this properly.

1. The freeware version of MBAM does not have real time protection and that is fine, because I am using windows defender for that correct?
YOU ARE CORRECT

2. I use firefox instead of ie, so do I not need spybot s&d? Or should I run it periodically as well? If so I DO NOT install tea timer and SD-helper correct? Or no tea timer but
DO YOU HAVE IE INSTALLED? or COMPLETLY removed?
IF IE IS there then malware can run it for you - best to lock it down and SD-Helper will help and not hurt  lots of threads about makeing IE more secure
I run FIREFOX but still keep SPYWAREBLASTER updated just to slow down nasty Active X just in case they get started somehow

DO NOT INSTALL T-TIMER - you have WD
SPYBOT IMMUNIZE IS STILL VALUABLE

3. I will take your advice and install mvps
4. WinPatrol is something I should add as well correct?  Win patrol will aleart you if anything tries to change critical registry entries or your HOSTS file  it has lots of handy tools

So that brings me to: mvps, winpatrol, Online Armor, Avast, MBAM Free (without real time protection), Spywareblaster and spyware guard (spyware guard I can remove because of Windows Defender)?
You may remove Spywareguard  (I did not know it even worked with Vista)

Should I add or remove anything from this list? And thanks again for helping a rookie. Hopefully I can keep myself protected now and teach my mom and girlfriend to do the same. Right now they probably just wear little condoms on their fingers to prevent viruses.

looks good
run secunia software inspector to see if all your apps are current
spywareblaster is not too critical and updates not very often
you only have to update spybot once a week on wednesdays- no big deal

I update MVPS right before Spybot every Wed then IMMUNIZE

You do not have to run MBAM very often but kinda keep it up to date so if you need it and something has trashed your internet connection you have a recent database- same with Windows Defender

If any of the suggestions conflict or do not work with Vista let me know

ahullsb

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 05:04:58 AM »
Great! Everything seems to be working great so far. I could use a little clarification on mvps though. What directory does this file need to be in? Does it need to be in any particular place? Also I read where it could slow things down if over 125 kb or something like that, which it is. Do I need to follow the steps it suggests on their page?

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 05:48:10 AM »
I could use a little clarification on mvps though. What directory does this file need to be in?
MVPS is a HOSTS file from the following site that gives a good description of it and how to install it:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Also I read where it could slow things down if over 125 kb or something like that
The DNS Client Service is not necessary unless your system is used in a Corporate environment that need this service to access their servers.

I use OpenDNS to help speed up DNS request plus it ads a level of security in that it prevents access to its known bad IP addresses:
http://www.opendns.com

ahullsb

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 09:40:59 AM »
I will try to rework the DNS thing. I did run the batch file and went into the services.msc and disabled, etc. So you are saying I should not do that? Should I switch it back?

Also, the only problem I have had with this av, spyware, firewall switch is that flash player will not work anymore. I have uninstalled it, reinstalled it. I have tried the obvious ie and firefox options to enable it but no luck. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips by any chance?

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 05:42:46 PM »
Also, the only problem I have had with this av, spyware, firewall switch is that flash player will not work anymore.
You have to use the Flash un-install application first.

How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control
http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157

Install Flash Player:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 05:46:43 PM by YoKenny »

ahullsb

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 08:45:18 PM »
Thank you for the link. I tried it last night but it didn't work. After disabling firefox add ons, I still have no luck with firefox, but flash seems to work with internet explorer. Many of the firefox addons remain even after I uninstall them. I even completely uninstalled, reinstalled firefox. AVG has a couple that won't go away, even though I uninstalled avg using their removal tool. Here is a list of addons that still remain

Adblock Plus
AVG Safe Search (will not uninstall even though I completely uninstalled avg)
AVG security toolbar (same thing)
Download Helper (same thing)
Fasterfox (ditto)
Google toolbar
Hyperwords (also will not uninstall)
Loop for firefox (I'm seeing a pattern. These won't go away)
PDFCreator Toolbar (won't uninstall)
Tab Scope
WOT
Yahoo Toolbar

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 08:58:13 PM »
Many of the firefox addons remain even after I uninstall them.
Sometimes, you need to manually delete the profile folder of Firefox.
http://support.mozilla.com/pt-BR/kb/Profiles#How_to_find_your_profile
The best things in life are free.

ahullsb

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 03:16:22 AM »
Many of the firefox addons remain even after I uninstall them.
Sometimes, you need to manually delete the profile folder of Firefox.
http://support.mozilla.com/pt-BR/kb/Profiles#How_to_find_your_profile

I can try that. But won't manualy removing my profile also erase all of my bookmarks, favorites etc? I guess I can try and figure out how to export or save some of the stuff. I just don't know what program caused this flash problem. It is annoying though and if I can't fix it soon I may just have to give up on firefox for the time being. Any chance I need to "allow" youtube to run flash in my firewall or something?

Also I have not found a definitive answer on "run as administrator." I'm going to use it from now on anyway, but I have UAC turned off because it was annoying. Maybe I avoided the run as admin problem that way?

Does anyone have an opinion on the DNS server thing. I can't tell whether things were slower or not now. Should I undo the changes that MVPS recommended for files over 135kb or does it matter either way?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 04:32:47 PM »
I can try that. But won't manualy removing my profile also erase all of my bookmarks, favorites etc?
Sure. You can backup them before (when Firefox is still installed) using MozBackup.
http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

Any chance I need to "allow" youtube to run flash in my firewall or something?
Don't know... sorry.

Also I have not found a definitive answer on "run as administrator." I'm going to use it from now on anyway, but I have UAC turned off because it was annoying. Maybe I avoided the run as admin problem that way?
I don't see a reason that a flash need to be run as administrator.
I have tweak UAC to not see the black locked screen, but it is ON. It's not annoying, it's necessary for security.

Does anyone have an opinion on the DNS server thing. I can't tell whether things were slower or not now. Should I undo the changes that MVPS recommended for files over 135kb or does it matter either way?
Some other users are better experienced on this...
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 05:10:12 PM »
I don't use Firefox nor can I afford a Vista capable system so I will let the answers come from their users.

Is your system in a corporate environment that has many local systems hooked up to a local Intranet?

If the answer is No then you do not need the DNS Client service active and you should use OpenDNS for speedier Internet connections:
http://www.opendns.com