Author Topic: Spyware Terminator & Avast?  (Read 13747 times)

sox fan matt

Spyware Terminator & Avast?
« on: August 25, 2008, 01:15:02 AM »
What are ya'lls thoughts on Spyware Terminator and Ad-Aware 2008?  Do they play nice with Avast? 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Spyware Terminator & Avast?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:19:49 AM »
Yes they do.
Ad-aware is weaker in my opinion. Not that good detection rate.
SpywareTerminator could even be used as resident.
The best things in life are free.

sox fan matt

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 01:24:04 AM »
Thanks Tech:)

Which is a better setup, imo:

Spyware Terrminator /SAS (for on demand) or Spybot by itself?

wyrmrider

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 02:01:20 AM »
It depends on which virus you are going to get- are you psychic?

Spyware terminator has a nice real time protector
It also tries to come with a BHO Toolbar and I think an Antivirus - neither of which you want

Spybot has the excellent SD-Helper and Immunize
It's real time component is called T-Timer

DO NOT RUN BOTH OF THESE REAL TIME PROTECTORS AT THE SAME TIME

other than that both have On demand Scanners\
They use completely different scan techniques

so if you have the disk space you can have both on demand scanners available

I have not seen a published comparison of the real time components- but FREE are hard to come by
other Free ones are Spyware Doctor if DL from Google Toolbar (and forget a bunch of other options)
BO Clean (not quite the same)

Microsoft Windows Defender
and there is a hard to find version of Pest Patrol with free real time

AS I said  DO NOT RUN TWO OF THESE AT THE SAME TIME
you could try em all and do a write up :)

I'm an old timer- I remember when spywareterminator was in the SpyHunter catagory
I'd use Spybot for sure and try t-timer
if not happy with t-timer I'd disable just t-timer and keep immunize and sd-helper
and try spywareterminator

With different OS your mileage will vary

If IE is installed anywhere on your computer- even if you hardly ever use it
install Spywareblaster, lock it down and keep it updated

MVPS OR HPHosts
Win Patrol

tls

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 02:22:45 AM »
Not an expert here, but--

I prefer Spyware Terminator for real-time, without the toolbar and AV, and SAS on demand.  But on another computer with similar specs (a friend's), Spybot S & D with tea-timer seems to work better for real-time, also with SAS on demand.  Maybe it's due to a difference in surfing habits.  We have both tried both programs for real-time protection.  Both are easy to uninstall to try the other; my computer guy suggested de-immunizing before uninstalling, which I did.  I gave up on AdAware. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 02:44:36 AM »
I never did get to like the SpywareTerminator interface it didn't last long in my trial. I abandoned adaware ages ago.

I had been using Ewido, a.k.a AVG anti-spyware, that went downhill and is no longer available as stand alone. I used SAS free for some time and I found it to be a good option, so much so I decided to purchase the pro version (a small one off payment) which gives resident protection. I also have the MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) free version as a secondary on-demand anti-spy/malware scanner.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 05:30:21 PM »
Spyware Terrminator /SAS (for on demand) or Spybot by itself?
The first is better (Spyware Terminator/SAS for on demand).
The best will be: Spyware Terminator/SAS on demand/Spybot on demand also.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 05:31:12 PM »
I never did get to like the SpywareTerminator interface it didn't last long in my trial. I abandoned adaware ages ago.
SpywareTerminator is NOT adaware.

wyrmrider

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:37:22 PM »
Tech  your combo should work as well as any
I think David-R meant Ad-aware
anyone know of a recent test of these preventive aids?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 07:39:34 PM »
SpywareTerminator is NOT adaware.

And if you check your quote you will see that I didn't say it was, there is a full stop after my comment about SpywareTerminator before my comment about adaware.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline BJ_GeOrgE

• Avast Evangelist
  • prevention is better than cure
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 02:37:51 AM »
i had ad-aware 2008 recently on my pc....its terrible...it used to be good but now its buggy and the scans are very slow...i'm back to spybot now...the best free anti-spyware for me...
spyware terminator is good but i dont like hips...i've also tested boclean and its one of my favourite...it seems light,silent and effective(but its not to use it alone...u ned another anti-spyware just to be sure).. ;)
Antivirus: Avast Free v8.0.1497/Firewall: Windows Firewall/On Demand: Malwarebytes Free Edition/Other tools: CCleaner

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 03:44:40 AM »
Been about a year since I removed SpywareTerminator. It's a fairly good program, the HIPS component- whilst taking a bit of learning about- providing a good additional layer of security.
If you don't like, or don't know how to, answer popups on many aspects of computer behaviour, don't integrate the HIPS. I would also not recommend the toolbar or the Clam AV, but that's down to personal choice.
AdAware will never see my computer again. Buggy, bloated, ineffective, and with poor support, is how I found it, after SE was discontinued.
What I'd recommend would be a few standalone apps or settings that can run beside Avast and "plug any gaps", as it were.
Such things would include a behaviour blocker, such as, say, Threatfire, a two way firewall, and some browser immunity, which might include a Hosts file, and/or SpywareBlaster, disabling or prompting for the running of scripts in the browser (eg Firefox with the Noscript extension), and some folk also recommend running the apps that connect to the web (browser, p2p etc) with reduced privileges. (Google "dropmyrights")
I would also recommend trying out a few of the tools that offer such protections, be it SpywareTerminator, AdAware, Boclean etc, and see how they all run together, how the support (if needed) is, what the protection is like etc.
Some apps run brilliantly on some computers, and not at all well on differently set-up systems. (Example: I'd be very keen to try OA firewall, have done three times, my computer dies with it installed. Too hard to troubleshoot it at the (non) speed it runs at, despite willingness on the part of the company to help. Most other users have very good experiences with it.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

gdiloren

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 05:03:14 AM »
I ran a complete scan with ST today and it found a spyware "Kiswin" Avast didn't find (got it with the freeware unlocker, with the ebay shortcut). It's a good complement. Even if Avast gets its own FW I doubt I'll go with it as I prefer the AV and tend towards Comodo3 FW as it has more experience in FW than AVAST (but somebody has to give it a trial too!). I'm not happy actually with Comodo3 FW as it freezes from time to time on my pc and is terminated so it's the panic button and I'm forced to reboot. FWs are complicated to choose and you have many issues in it. :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 05:07:16 AM by gdiloren »

PapaSmurf

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 05:48:57 AM »
Firewalls have always been the last think I look at. I tried tried most all of them,
most notably ZA and Comodo. To be honest, the only thing I use a firewall for is to control
what programs connect to the net. I have never liked programs that connect to the net without my knowledge.
The firewalls I have used were good in the beginning, but eventually became rather bloated. I finally settled on the PcTools FW just because it did what I wanted and it had a small profile. It is not rated anywhere near the best of FW choices, but it works for my use without clogging up my system. I should mention that I have a hardware firewall, (WiFi with router set up) so a software FW is not so important to me.  :)

gdiloren

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 06:05:13 AM »
Hi PapaSmurf, I have a router WiFi too, but it has to be well configured, secured, and can be bypassed too by known hijackers (although this is "remote possibility") :D