Author Topic: Avast!: The process cannot access the file ...  (Read 25690 times)

Mike Buxton

Re: Avast!: The process cannot access the file ...
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 03:56:02 AM »
HI katarina,

I think, but I do not know, that all is well. My reason for posting is merely to congratulate you on your style of writing which is a model of tact and politeness and an example to some of us, including me.

I am, however, certain that there is no need for panic as I'm sure you will get any advice you need.

My regards

katarina

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 04:11:49 AM »
Mike .. thank you for your positive feedback. 

I have participated in many different online communities over the years and have been fortunate to have had excellent role models among the leaders of those communities.  The examples they set when dealing with conflicts among members were exceptional. I will be forever grateful for the lessons I have learned from those individuals.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 08:15:08 AM »
When my daughter got home, the boot-time scan had finished and her normal windows log in screen was displayed.

If the boot-time scan had encountered a problem, would it have stopped and waited for user input before continuing?  Or ... does she need to go looking for the results to see if there was a problem?

Yes, the boot-time scan asks for user intervention by default. A report is logged at "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report\aswBoot.txt" as well.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 08:32:44 AM »
Mike
we w98SE users can run avast in safe mode
almost same o same o

Looks like F-protect is dropping W98 support and DOS support is gone
anyone know of a current DOS scanner
NTFS file users - do not try this at home

wyrmrider
See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=28634.msg238033#msg238033
Despite the installer file name, KAVDOSNT.EXE, it works with all 32-bit windows.
If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you a download link.

katarina

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 12:46:25 PM »

Yes, the boot-time scan asks for user intervention by default. A report is logged at "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report\aswBoot.txt" as well.

Thank you ...I will let her know. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 02:10:07 PM »
Vladimyr, is Kaspersky for DOS being updated? Last time I've saw, the virus definitions aren't up-to-date for a long time... ???
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 03:36:16 PM »
It is probably OK, however, it is possible to use the advanced settings (when you schedule the boot-time scan) to take actions automatically upon detection and we don't know if that is the case.

Check this file using notepad, C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Report\aswBoot.txt this contains a summary of the boot-time scan.

Copy and paste the contents here.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 03:46:35 PM »
Vladimyr, is Kaspersky for DOS being updated? Last time I've saw, the virus definitions aren't up-to-date for a long time... ???

Not sure. I'll check tomorrow.

PotatoMan

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 10:15:14 PM »
Mike .. thank you for your positive feedback. 

I have participated in many different online communities over the years and have been fortunate to have had excellent role models among the leaders of those communities.  The examples they set when dealing with conflicts among members were exceptional. I will be forever grateful for the lessons I have learned from those individuals.

If the boot time scan went straight to Windows, then it is most likely there is nothing to worry about.

JS.Redirector is a temporary thing that redirects users to sites that trick them into downloading/buying rogue/dangerous software. This process is called social engineering.

You should be fine, download the files I recommended and be safe :D

gdiloren

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 10:21:57 PM »
If a malware is encountered it would have stop. It appears your system is clean! 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2008, 11:33:01 PM »
That isn't completely correct I suggest you read my post again. Also see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

katarina

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 03:14:53 AM »
It is probably OK, however, it is possible to use the advanced settings (when you schedule the boot-time scan) to take actions automatically upon detection and we don't know if that is the case.

Knowing my daughter as I do ... and knowing that she probably didn't do anything other than the basics when she set the scan up, I doubt she used the advanced settings, but I have asked her to send me a copy of the log, just to be sure.

I am glad that you posted the image and pointed out that the advanced options are available.  Many times we do not check the boxes that allow us additional options and we are oblivious to their existence.

On another note ... I have not been receiving email notifications regarding additional responses to this thread.  I was getting them previously, but they stopped.  What am I overlooking?

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 04:44:53 AM »
On another note ... I have not been receiving email notifications regarding additional responses to this thread.  I was getting them previously, but they stopped.  What am I overlooking?

The "NOTIFY" button on each topic toggles between enabled and disabled and requires user confirmation of the change. If you click it now, does it ask if you want to disable, or enable?

katarina

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 01:24:37 PM »
The "NOTIFY" button on each topic toggles between enabled and disabled and requires user confirmation of the change. If you click it now, does it ask if you want to disable, or enable?

I did get an email notification for your reply and when I click the NOTIFY button, it does ask if I want to disable. 

I think the problem was on my side.  I have been running scans and deleting cookies on my computer the past few days as I was troubleshooting what I thought was a problem with my computer.  My banking web-site wouldn't even let me log in because its cookies were gone. 

Things should be looking up now, since I finally discovered that my "problem" was that Google is tinkering with their software, causing me to think there was a problem with my machine, when it was really Google.  I do not like Google "Suggest" taking over my search box.  :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 03:40:23 PM »
There are many useful configuration elements in avast, many that would lie undiscovered. it is good to have a rummage around (but don't change anything unless you know the effect it will have) ;D

Yes the email notifications can be useful or a bit of a pain, I would get hundreds in the course of a week ;D

There is also a useful tool on the forums in the Forum Theme I use, Babylon and that is 'Show new replies to your posts.' So any replies to topics that you either start or contribute to would be listed when you click the link.

I don't know if it is as readily accessible in the other forum themes, available through the Profile button, Look and Layout Preferences, Current Theme: So another hidden gem ;D