Author Topic: my avast is messing up  (Read 9753 times)

willywonka2

my avast is messing up
« on: August 25, 2008, 11:34:50 PM »
hi when i had avast everytime i click on like settings the word of the settings stay on my desktop  only time it will go off is if i restart my computer ......it never did this before untell i had to reistall it and thats when it started i try to unstill it and re install it again and its still the same plz let me know whats going on ty..and is that avast 5.0 out yet just let me know what i can do about that avast 4.8 ty

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: my avast is messing up
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 11:43:56 PM »
What is your firewall ?

Strange as this seems, this cropped up before (display problems) and it was firewall related.

<snip> but, what you are saying about the menu leftovers, it reminds me of an older problem there was with Kerio firewall.

Please try the following:
1. Start Notepad and open the file <avast4>\Data\avast4.ini
2. Find the section [Common]
3. Add the following line into that section (at the end, beginning... wherever):
SunbeltKPFHack=2
4. Save the changes; avast! self-defense might pop up with a message about avast4.ini being changed, so confirm that

Does it help?

Even if you aren't using Kerio it is worth a try as I believe it might help, it certainly won't hurt.

No version 5.0 isn't out, but here is where you will find out first.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 11:45:49 PM »
Igor says the last word here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=22698.msg188440#msg188440
Which is your operational system? And how much memory (RAM) do you have?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 11:55:58 PM »
Your topic link is from August 2006, the one quoted one is from August 2008 two years later, also from Igor, so chronologically this is his last word ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

willywonka2

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:01:55 AM »
Your topic link is from August 2006, the one quoted one is from August 2008 two years later, also from Igor, so chronologically this is his last word ;D
i have windows firewall and it never did this before and i have no bugs i had to wipe my pc ou few weeks ago and i got avast back on and thats when it did that about that when i click on setting the word of settings never went off my screen and i had to restart the computer and it went away it dont do it all the time only when i click on a settings thats the only time that it stayed there on my screen ty ......

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 12:40:35 AM »
And so?

willywonka2

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 12:43:17 AM »
And so?
i have windows xp and i have 512 ram should i try to re install it

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 12:50:48 AM »
Should i try to re install it
I don't think this is necessary.
Anyway, 512Mb could not be enough and Windows XP could having trouble to manage video display and memory... Does this occur (leftovers on screen) only with avast?

willywonka2

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 01:00:12 AM »
Anyway, 512Mb could not be enough and Windows XP could having trouble to manage video display and memory... Does this occur (leftovers on screen) only with avast?
it never did that before i had avast on my computer before i wiped it out and it never did that before i had to wiped it out and i had to wiped it out because of the storm and i put avast back on and it thats when it did that and i have lot of memery on it ty

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 01:32:41 AM »
As I said it won't hurt to try the SunbeltKPFHack=2 option in avast4.ini regardless if this had happened before or not.

PapaSmurf

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 05:08:45 AM »
I have to agree with Tech on this one...I have 1 meg and had to get a video card that could manage the display properties
on its' own. WinXP needs all the memory you can give it. I have always been told that 1meg is the minimum that should be used. Just my 2cents.

willywonka2

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 05:27:37 AM »
I have to agree with Tech on this one...I have 1 meg and had to get a video card that could manage the display properties
on its' own. WinXP needs all the memory you can give it. I have always been told that 1meg is the minimum that should be used. Just my 2cents.
ok ...but i have lot of memery tho and i redid my avast and its working fine now..

willywonka2

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 05:49:23 AM »
how do i delete my topic on here ty

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 06:03:05 AM »
I have WinXP SP3 running just fine on a 8 year old Dell with the maximum 512Mb that system can take.

"Minimum 1Gb of memory" is venturing into the realm of nonsense.   

PapaSmurf

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 06:54:42 AM »
I have WinXP SP3 running just fine on a 8 year old Dell with the maximum 512Mb that system can take.

"Minimum 1Gb of memory" is venturing into the realm of nonsense.   

Sorry to have to disagree with you, but here in Silicon Forest, anything under what I have is considered "nonsense".
Actually, my system is considered to be pretty antique. Guess it depends on what you have around for comparisons.  :)