Author Topic: WARNING TO ALL USERS!  (Read 7997 times)

Faizfast6

Re: WARNING TO ALL USERS!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 11:26:33 PM »
This is a good reason to update your anti-spyware (legitimate ones) programs folks.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 11:43:20 PM »
Hi Potatoman,

A lot of users only become active if their own computer is involved, an egoistic trait of modern humans on this planet.
If you want to come and join us to fight malware (and not only the easy ones) go to bootcamp online, there are many online anti malware universities where people learn to evaluate malware forensics, unlearn a lot of things that are bad practice and can harm the victims OS.

Now also know that the malware landscape is constantly changing, to-morrows malware is not that of to-day, old concepts can be launched again in a new outfit (the floppy infestations became modern again with USB stick/ pendrive autorun malware).

So to-days special anti-malware programs and tools are not those of to-morrow.

There is an awful lot of information to help us to fight malware and on processes and dlls and manual cleansing routines to be found through our great friend Google.

I also agree that forensics is important in another way - some things taken for malware can be led back to hardware trouble, drivers, stop-errors, motherboard, cards and what have you can get busted. And do not forget the fatal results of just common dust that can ruin your precious machine. Then a lot of people do not know a cd/dvd burner only has very limited burning hours before it collapses (that is why commercial firms use other hardware for this).
Do your reading on malware cleansing and start to help others here,

polonus aka Damian (malware fighter)
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

PotatoMan

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 12:53:52 AM »
Hi Potatoman,

A lot of users only become active if their own computer is involved, an egoistic trait of modern humans on this planet.
If you want to come and join us to fight malware (and not only the easy ones) go to bootcamp online, there are many online anti malware universities where people learn to evaluate malware forensics, unlearn a lot of things that are bad practice and can harm the victims OS.

Now also know that the malware landscape is constantly changing, to-morrows malware is not that of to-day, old concepts can be launched again in a new outfit (the floppy infestations became modern again with USB stick/ pendrive autorun malware).

So to-days special anti-malware programs and tools are not those of to-morrow.

There is an awful lot of information to help us to fight malware and on processes and dlls and manual cleansing routines to be found through our great friend Google.

I also agree that forensics is important in another way - some things taken for malware can be led back to hardware trouble, drivers, stop-errors, motherboard, cards and what have you can get busted. And do not forget the fatal results of just common dust that can ruin your precious machine. Then a lot of people do not know a cd/dvd burner only has very limited burning hours before it collapses (that is why commercial firms use other hardware for this).
Do your reading on malware cleansing and start to help others here,

polonus aka Damian (malware fighter)

Agreed Polomus,

I run my own malware removal shop over here in Ohio and I have seen a lot of XP Antivirus 2008 lately. I usually use a nice malware killing cocktail of Malware Bytes Anti Malware, and Ad-Aware 2008

But only when I know a machine is infected. I usually check for hardware failure, overheating, and even what you said, dust buildup, I have seen a lot of things on peoples machines. Like last week this guy thought he had won a free laptop and was told to click a link, and we later found out that the laptop, was none other than our old buddy Zlob.

The war against malware is never ending.

We will never stop fighting

Best Regards,
Dave AKA PotatoMan

PapaSmurf

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 05:10:09 AM »
Just a little addition here,
Turn off the messenger,
Disable auto updates.
With the huge variety of ways to communicate, the messenger is just not needed.
It is far better to check for system updates manually..(I do it once a week), than to rely
on windows automated system. If you are checking updates manually, more than likely you would
have noticed the website was wrong.
JMHO  ::)

wyrmrider

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 05:26:03 PM »
Ohio
I would have guessed Idaho
I thought the discussion on the role of this forum for non Avast related malware removal was really useful

Jeleal

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 09:12:37 PM »
I read that ThreatFire and Windows Defender both detects and prevents infestation of this and Antivirus XP 2009. Any truth to this?

Chief Engineer

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 10:53:47 PM »
For an in depth analysis of this menace check out this link:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/22/anatomy_of_a_hack/print.html

"Cancel" on this popup doesn't mean cancel