Author Topic: Avast Shell Extension Scan?  (Read 7335 times)

nightshift

Avast Shell Extension Scan?
« on: August 26, 2008, 03:35:13 AM »
Hello All!
Brand new to Avast and trying to get my head around a few things. This forum is great and has helped me sort a few issues without having to post but this one keeps nagging away and I can't seem to nail it.
I've installed v 4.8 and use the Simple User Interface. I've kept definitions upto date.
When I right click on a few desktop icons to see if Avast will do what I understand to be a "shell extension" scan the blue avast ball appears in the menu alongside the relevant "scan (whatever)........"file , but clicking on this produces nothing other than a split second flash of the Avast initial logo screen. No scan seems to take place and I can't find any record of a scan happening. (Another AV programme I've migrated from used to noticably scan, fetch up a "shell extension scan" banner and record the scan info.) Is Avast supposed to do the same and have I configured something wrong?
Help much appreciated.
nightshift.

PapaSmurf

Re: Avast Shell Extension Scan?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 04:19:25 AM »
I tested this on a few items on my system. The scan is very fast, it does scan whatever file you chose,
but I too am not able to find any log suggesting a scan took place. Maybe the guru's here can say whether or not there is one. I can say for certain that a scan did occur. If one of the more experienced reads this, I did look thru the log viewer but found no reference to the scans as described.

However, be that as it may, Avast! did scan the file(s) selected nightshift , it was just very quick.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 04:51:35 AM »
Right-click the tray icon, select "program settings", make sure the bottom two, or at least the second-bottom checkbox (show results of explorer extension) are ticked.

Works?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

gdiloren

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 04:53:19 AM »
AshQuick. When you see the flash, it is scanned. If it disappears, it's clean. If you get a pop-up you have an infected file. 8)

PapaSmurf

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 07:24:27 AM »
Right-click the tray icon, select "program settings", make sure the bottom two, or at least the second-bottom checkbox (show results of explorer extension) are ticked.

Works?

See? What did I tell ya? Someone knew. Yup..works...check both bottom boxes.  ;)
Thank you Tarq57

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:56:50 AM »
You're welcome.
Most of what I know about Avast I've learned on this forum.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

nightshift

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »
 :D Thanks you all!!!!
Checked the boxes and it works. Better still the responses on here are prompt and polite! Just gets better.
Cheers
nightshift

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 08:59:09 PM »
Better still the responses on here are prompt and polite!
Welcome to avast forums ;)
The best things in life are free.