Author Topic: Prblm download VPS updates -- Modem freezes  (Read 1933 times)

siggej

Prblm download VPS updates -- Modem freezes
« on: August 28, 2008, 06:14:59 AM »
Hello avast-Gurus

(First: I have not searched the Forum for similar prblms, so if there already are answers; point it out to me, pls. )

Have used VPS Automatic update with my old phone modem w/o any prblm until VPS-080824 or -25. After that the Modem freezes when connecting the Web -- everything related to the Internet just STOPs.
Disconnected the function >Automatic VPS UpDate< in avast: The Internet functioned again.
Did a check-up for any Trojans --  Nothing, fit as a newborn baby.
Yesterday 080827 I made a >Manual VPS Update< --  everything worked as in the old times. After some minutes avast was updated. Then I activated the >Automatic VPS UpDate< again and went out on the Internet; The modem/Internet FREEZES again!!
So when avast itself are searching for updates from my pc, it does not work anymore -- if I do it manually: It works.

My pc have been exactly the same the whole time -- no new programs, no Malware or that kind.
Why does the >Automatic VPS UpDate< not work anymore?

I use XP-Home….

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: Prblm download VPS updates -- Modem freezes
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 07:20:09 AM »
Is it an internal "software" modem by any chance?
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

siggej

Re: Prblm download VPS updates -- Modem freezes
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 07:47:57 AM »
Well, both soft- and hardware is integrated in my Dell Inspiron 8200 and have worked well all the time.
It works just fine also now, but NOT whith the alternative >Automatic Update< in the avast-software since a few days -- only with >Manual< now.
Why did this function suddenly stop to work, one might wonder....

BR, s.