Author Topic: Trojans in system 32 :( Really need advice)  (Read 3850 times)

zone12

Trojans in system 32 :( Really need advice)
« on: August 28, 2008, 06:23:45 AM »
Guys I've got some stuff in The system files tab and i was wondering if i should delete these files. I don't have a screenshot so I'll make the best I can do.

System files (icon)   

Name             Original location                  Virus
kernel32.dll     C:\WINDOWS\system32       blank
wsock32.dll      same                               blank
winsock.dll       same                               blank

It looks like this in the Virus chest.
Can anybody give me a yes or no to deleting theses files.
(by the way im not sure if it's .dll or .dlll) ???

Please help!

Offline Justin_22

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Free your soul and let it fly
Re: Trojans in system 32 :( Really need advice)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 07:09:03 AM »
No Please do not delete these files they are critical system files and are in the chest by default a protected area where they cannot be harmed, you can think of them as being protected by Avast!
oh and Welcome to be the boards  :) and its .dll  :)

-Justin
Avast!  2014 beta - Sandboxie - K9 Web Protection

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 04:01:34 PM »
I realy do wish Alwil would get rid of this All Chest Files collation of the three sections.
- The only area you should be interested in is the Infected Files section, this is where the files detected by avast and selected by you to move to the chest are placed.
- The User Files section is where the user can add files they suspect of being malware but not detected by avast.
- The System Files section is where avast keeps back-up copies of important system files in case the original becomes infected (leave them alone).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wyrmrider

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:11:19 PM »
zoner
how bout pulling all of your threads together and locking the others
if they are different machines make that clear
thanks

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 08:23:06 PM »

I agree with David. There are too many times other users ask about, want to delete, or do delete files in the "System files" section of the chest.

My suggestion would be to remove the default "System files" button/selection shown in the chest photo below.

Add a check box to the chest settings shown in the second photo to allow "Show system files."

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:34:21 PM by CharleyO »

zone12

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 10:40:18 PM »
I'm really sorry but i don't understand so are you saying that those files are clean? The avast thing poped up and said there was something wrong with them.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 11:10:18 PM »
What's being said is that the Avast "Chest" (which is basically the quarantine) stores not only infected files (virus, trojan etc) but copies of certain system files.
Everything in the chest is protected. Nothing can interfere with it (except the user or the program), nothing can get in or out.
Avast stores copies of some system files in there, (generated by the VRDB, which you may see working beside the Avast icon when the computer is idle) so that good copies can be restored to the Windows System folder in the event the originals are damaged by an infection.
You will see there are different categories within the chest: Infected, User, System, and All.
One of the things being said above is that perhaps "system" files shouldn't be normally accessible or visible to users, as it can confuse.
So the only thing you should be alert to is "infected files".
All clear?

Now. We need to know more about the warning that was popped up. If you can remember anything about the alert, that would be good. If it happens again, write down all the details (or take a screenshot if you can) and post it.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.