Author Topic: How can I stop Avast scanning my Time Machine Backups  (Read 9650 times)

keithhmh

How can I stop Avast scanning my Time Machine Backups
« on: August 28, 2008, 10:04:58 AM »
Whenever I set of a volume scan on my 'Macintsosh HD' it automatically goes on to scan /Volume/Time Machine Backups which takes forever - pretty much rendering the product non viable.

How do I exclude /Volumes/Time Machine Backups  from the scan

keithhmh

Re: How can I stop Avast scanning my Time Machine Backups
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 11:36:12 AM »
Perhaps Avast needs a facility to scan only files ammended after an entered date. I am not used to Unix type structures, where is /Volumes. Can i enter multiple folders somehow and if so  what do I need to put in to miss out /volumes. What other base directories are there?

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 12:36:40 PM »
Perhaps Avast needs a facility to scan only files ammended after an entered date. I am not used to Unix type structures, where is /Volumes. Can i enter multiple folders somehow and if so  what do I need to put in to miss out /volumes. What other base directories are there?

Hallo,

normally, it really NOT necessary to scan all volumes - just scan the area that migh be infected meanwhile since your last scan. that's the purpose of the "Scan Now" button, and its location-select list.

Well, this version might have some problems with Time Machine mounts. Next version will suport path-exclusion option, and also, those inbred recursivities will be avoided as well. Current version is based on a pre-Leopard design, which wasn't well aware of those Leopardish attainments.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

keithhmh

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 08:54:17 PM »
Are we any nearer to solving the recursive scan issue yet and offering path exclsion?

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 11:19:25 AM »
Are we any nearer to solving the recursive scan issue yet and offering path exclsion?

Yes, path exclusion support was added to the release candidate few days ago, with wildcard support etc. There will be two path-exclude modes - simple (specify prefix) and advanced (specify wildcarded expression). Now we're testing the whole thing and fixing some flaws.
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)