Author Topic: Vista wont boot after avast install  (Read 2703 times)

drahyrt

Vista wont boot after avast install
« on: August 29, 2008, 07:46:21 AM »
Hi,
Just installed AVAST! ;D, and now the vista machine won't boot paste the microsoft black page with the box and dots streaming across it. ???

It will boot in safe mode. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and uninstalling altogether, but appears only safe mode will work.
I did reinstall AVAST after uninstall, and did a boot scan and it booted, but it froze after an hour and when turned on it stalled in the same place as before again. :'(

It looks like I will have to use backup strategies, which is a problem because it means I may lose some settings etc.

Any help appreciated.
Drahyrt ;D

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: Vista wont boot after avast install
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:45:59 AM »
Hello drahyrt welcome to the Avast forum
Did you have a Anti-virus installed prior to Avast?
If so, what was the name of the AV program?
How was it removed from your system?
Many AV programs have additional removal tools available in addition to the usual Add/Remove.
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

drahyrt

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 09:35:44 AM »
Computer associates spy and av was installed and removed with windows uninstall. Which does not have "removal" options. Have tried uninstalling avast but only in safe mode as regular mode won't run again.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 02:15:40 PM »
Which firewall do you use?
If you're not being able to boot after installing avast, something is conflicting with it. Maybe not well removed CA programs.
The best things in life are free.