Author Topic: Do you really need a Webshield/Email scanner?  (Read 20949 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Do you really need a Webshield/Email scanner?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 04:55:42 PM »
I'm not saying that it is always so, in most cases the files will be transferred through disk, but yes, it's possible.
(A very nice example, even thought not exactly the case we are talking about, was the Slammer worm in 2003. It was never saved to disk, it existed only in a form of a malicious network packet or in memory - which is why quite a few people got confused when they were looking for a sample.)

I don't know what exactly you mean by "files". WebShield scans whatever is transferred through the HTTP protocol - webpages, scripts, but also downloaded executable files, etc.

Kyle142

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 05:04:01 PM »
I understand you Igor, thank you :) probably 1 of the first that has given me some decent answers lol :P
I should probably ask this on Comodo, I'll ask here as well;

Edit::: CPF3 protects from script exploits etc, So a Webshield isn't needed, for me?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 05:07:07 PM by Kyle142 »

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 05:56:48 PM »
The web shield scans all http packets (port 80). Excerpt from http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-free-home-antivirus-antispyware.html

"Web Shield is a unique feature of avast! that enables it to monitor and filter all HTTP traffic coming from the Web sites on the Internet. Since an increasing number of viruses (and other malware, such as adware, spyware and dialers) are being distributed via the World Wide Web, the need for an effective countermeasures has also increased. The Web Shield acts as a transparent HTTP proxy and is compatible with all major web browsers, including Microsoft Internet Explorer, FireFox, Mozilla and Opera.

Unlike most competitive solutions, Web Shield's impact on browsing speed is almost negligible. This is because of a unique feature called "Intelligent Stream Scan" that lets the Web Shield module scan objects on-the-fly, without the need of caching them locally. Stream scanning is performed in operating memory only (without the necessity to flush the contents to disk), providing maximum possible throughput rates."
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Kyle142

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2008, 06:08:40 PM »
The web shield scans all http packets (port 80). Excerpt from http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-free-home-antivirus-antispyware.html

"Web Shield is a unique feature of avast! that enables it to monitor and filter all HTTP traffic coming from the Web sites on the Internet. Since an increasing number of viruses (and other malware, such as adware, spyware and dialers) are being distributed via the World Wide Web, the need for an effective countermeasures has also increased. The Web Shield acts as a transparent HTTP proxy and is compatible with all major web browsers, including Microsoft Internet Explorer, FireFox, Mozilla and Opera.

Unlike most competitive solutions, Web Shield's impact on browsing speed is almost negligible. This is because of a unique feature called "Intelligent Stream Scan" that lets the Web Shield module scan objects on-the-fly, without the need of caching them locally. Stream scanning is performed in operating memory only (without the necessity to flush the contents to disk), providing maximum possible throughput rates."

Thank you Vladimyr and Igor :) I had trouble finding that sort of information. This is handy for someone who doesn't use a HIPS or a a watered down HIPS. Personally I am fine With out a webshield as I use CPf3 so that renders the cross scripting pretty safe (I know that nothing is 100%)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 07:38:32 PM »
I think that I'm on 'Par' with Tech, I'll wait for his reply.

Having different modules can allow the user to have the appropriate level of security based on the environment, so having level 5 may be great for browsing the net, while level 3 is a nice level for the on demand access for your computer.

Is that what your trying to say?
No. I'm trying to say that using the files scanner (Standard Shield) at High security level (or custom but scanning open/created/modified files) will use more resources to achieve some security level that could, thanks to avast configurability, achieved using less resources and dedicated providers. So the security level could be different to different parts of the system, optimizing the protection and the performance.

first that has given me some decent answers lol :P
Don't be so bitter...

imho, WebShield can't be replaced by Comodo Defense+ (HIPS).

The best things in life are free.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 09:41:42 PM »
Hi Avast readers and writers,

Avast Web Shield is super fast and can only provide extra protection to that of their Standard Shield.

To any who don't use a resident Email Sanner. Email attachments are best saved, before any viewing.

For W98SE Avast Web Shield users:
Using W98SE it's essential every browser used is set to local host 12080 to enable Web protection..

My regards

PS The above is my understanding of my readings here and elsewhere. Any corrections are welcome.

Kyle142

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 05:19:45 AM »

richo

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 02:07:58 PM »
Personally I don't use the webshield as I am not convinced it currently adds any significant protection over the usual realtime scanner offered by most AV's.
I must admit... the nature of some of the responses intrigues me. While Kyles's persistence may come across as a little annoying... he is asking a very valid question. There is sometimes too much emotion in responses than actual useful information. Most security is just commonsense anyway.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 02:14:51 PM »
Read Igor's answers...
The best things in life are free.

Kyle142

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »
Thank you richo, and the other users on avast! forums.

I encourage you all to read this weblink, and pay special attention to the posts from Melih. He is the CEO of comodo, And I trust what he says.

http://forums.comodo.com/general_security_questions_and_comments_not_product_related/do_you_really_need_a_webshieldemail_scanner-t26466.30.html

EDIT::

My question has been answered, thanks for the support :)   Could a mod please lock this thread.