Author Topic: nervous, soon to be a new customer/user  (Read 4979 times)

Alicat

nervous, soon to be a new customer/user
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:50:52 PM »
Hi

I am about to take the leap to trusting Avast! to protect me  :) and will be downloading and installing the Home version this weekend.

After recent, and very bad experiences with both McAfee and Norton, I'm apprehensive about starting all over again with yet another new company and product, but I highly value the advice and opinions of those who steered me here.

My reason for posting here and now is simply to "touch base" in advance of trying to read and get familiar with what lies ahead in order to be best prepared. As my virus update/protection was immediately yanked with the cancellation of a subscription before I had sufficient opportunity to research and prepare the transition, I feel a bit "vulnerable" not having everything already in place. I'll need to be able to use my computer before I have a good chunk of time to work on all the necessary maintenance, installation and settings, and I'm uneasy needing to set this all up under that kind of time pressure.

So, as I am NOT familiar with Avast!, aside from the recommendations, I was wondering if anyone might offer a "heads up" or steer me in the right direction in terms of the main things to pay attention to, potential issues to be concerned about, first (with a 81 page User Guide and large support forum, there's a lot to digest all at once) so that I don't panic as I try to get everything in place as quickly as possible. 

Windows XP
IE 7
Outlook Express

I also use Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware, & Windows Defender (and occasionally Hijack This!) - any conflicts with these?

Any former McAfee and Norton users, or people familiar with them - are there any major differences with Avast! features, functions, settings to be aware of beforehand?

Thank you in advance  :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:58:12 PM by Alicat »

gdiloren

Re: nervous, soon to be a new customer/user
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 09:25:41 PM »
Installing is easy but you must make sure all other AV are properly uninstalled: for example there is a Norton Removal Tool to completely uninstall Norton and left-overs. Otherwise, your new installation with AVAST may be a problem. Make sure McAfee is properly uninstalled. Before uninstalllation of course download the setup file then disconnect from internet to avoid infections and run a boot scan after AVAST installation. Welcome to AVAST! :)

onlysomeone

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 09:44:45 PM »
Hi!

Here you find the Norton Removal Tool: (link from Tech)
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Norton_Removal_Tool_for_Windows_2000XPVista/1169144666/1

yours
onlysomeone

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »
Here is a set of destructions that I pinched from Snowwhite

First you have to download an antivirus.  This program is basic for the security of your computer and in todays age not having one will probably lead to disaster for your computer.

Please go HERE and download avast! 4 Home Edition to your desktop. Locate the file that you just downloaded, double-click on the file to launch the installation of avast!

Click Next on the avast! Setup window and on the next window with the ReadMe File.
Now you will see the Legal Agreement, just click I agree, and then click Next to continue.

You will be prompted with Configuration window, make sure that you choose Typical configuration and then click Next. Click Next to the windows that will follow, when the installation will finish, you will be given an option to schedule a boot time scan, select No

Now you have to restart your machine, select Restart and then click Finish.

After you restart you will get a message about avast! it will give you the general "Hello and Thank you for choosing our Product." Also after you restart you will notice 2 new icons in the bottom right corner of the screen.

VERY IMPORTANT - after restarting, right click on the a in the taskbar and select Updating, then highlight and click Program.

You will get  popup after its done updating. If avast! had to download anything for your computer you may get a message asking you to restart.

After you have updated avast! right click the small icon a in task bar and click Start Avast! AntiVirus

Click Program Registration and you will be taken to their website. Fill out the form and then check you e-mail. Once you get an e-mail from them (usually about 1 minute after submitting the form) copy and paste the serial they provided into the highlighted box. Then click ok.

After this, you will need to Schedule Boot-Time Scan with avast! Click on the little button placed up in the left  corner, and select Schedule Boot-Time Scan. Read also this tutorial HERE it may make it easier to you to follow the steps.

Next, choose
  • Scan all local disks  
  • scan archive files
  • click on Schedule
On the next dialog Operating system restart needed select Yes
Now avast! will restart your computer and start to scan before Windows fully loads.

IMPORTANT NOTE since your system has infections on it, avast! will give you dialog box with recommended actions, and options, please make sure if this happens, to click the Move to Chest button, and not to delete any reported files.

The boot log will be located here C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report\AswBoot.txt

wyrmrider

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 12:24:20 AM »
norton has several removers get the right one from their website
mcafee also has a remover  running both is critical

for a double check
go here (makes no difference that you have never had antivir
http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallantivir.shtml

scroll to the middle of the page and start here
"What if Windows Security Center Shows AntiVir or other muliple Antivirus products installed??"

follow the links
run the registry cleaner
put checkmarks next to the AV hits and knock them out
not unusual to find 10 left overs after running the removal tools

ps there are links to the Norton and Mcafee tools at the bottom of theAvira page

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 01:02:39 AM »
# You don't say what version of McAfee so here are some links, chose whichever is relevant.

McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe

2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Also see - How do I uninstall SecurityCenter? http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alicat

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 07:55:22 PM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome. Looks like I'm delayed starting the whole process, so in the meantime I can clarify some information and ask several questions about the advice and suggestions posted here....

I think I did manage to finally rid my computer of all the last remnants of Norton, so it's just bits and pieces of McAfee I'll need to deal with at this point.

Before uninstalllation of course download the setup file then disconnect from internet to avoid infections and run a boot scan after AVAST installation.

Ok, good point. With a cable connection, I don't know if I ever took the added security step of disconnecting from the internet during the uninstall/install process. I think I saw the term "boot scan" in the instructions, although not 100% sure of the meaning. It'll just prompt me to do this?

Essexboy, I appreciate that you just copied-'n'-pasted, but have some questions...

First you have to download an antivirus. 

I'm assuming that's because this was all in the context of something else?

IMPORTANT NOTE since your system has infections on it, avast! will give you dialog box with recommended actions, and options, please make sure if this happens, to click the Move to Chest button, and not to delete any reported files.

The boot log will be located here C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\report\AswBoot.txt

Ok, this is also because these directions were in some other context?
 Fortunately, and despite my unpleasant experiences with McAfee and Norton, I have remained free of infections, and am not currently experiencing any problems which would indicate any. Full scans by McAfee, Windows Defender, Spybot and Ad-Aware show nothing even slightly suspicious.

for a double check

"What if Windows Security Center Shows AntiVir or other muliple Antivirus products installed??"

follow the links
run the registry cleaner

I should go through this before installing Avast? Little nervous about doing anything during the "unprotected" stage, especially if it means remaining online.

# You don't say what version of McAfee so here are some links, chose whichever is relevant.

McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe

2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Also see - How do I uninstall SecurityCenter? http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525

I have all the most recent versions of the products included in McAfee's Internet Security Suite, and since I did need to do a complete uninstall/reinstall less than a month after first getting it, I am aware of the need to use that specific removal tool

Want to make sure again that no conflicts with Spybot and AdAware?

Also, as I've been warned repeatedly about Outlook Express conflicts with anti-virus software, is it safe/recommended to disable Avast's e-mail scanning? Or are there settings which I can adjust to minimize potential problems?

wyrmrider

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 08:41:52 PM »
new comments in CAPS

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Looks like I'm delayed starting the whole process, so in the meantime I can clarify some information and ask several questions about the advice and suggestions posted here....

MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE

I think I did manage to finally rid my computer of all the last remnants of Norton, so it's just bits and pieces of McAfee I'll need to deal with at this point.

GOOD I TAKE IT YOU FOUND AND USED THE REMOVAL TOOL

Before uninstalllation of course download the setup file then disconnect from internet to avoid infections and run a boot scan after AVAST installation.

Ok, good point. With a cable connection, I don't know if I ever took the added security step of disconnecting from the internet during the uninstall/install process. I think I saw the term "boot scan" in the instructions, although not 100% sure of the meaning. It'll just prompt me to do this?

YES  IT WILL PROMPT TO UPDATE AND RUN A SCAN- IF NOT DO IT MANUALLY by rt click the ball

Essexboy, I appreciate that you just copied-'n'-pasted, but have some questions...

First you have to download an antivirus. 

I'm assuming that's because this was all in the context of something else?
I THINK ESSEX BOY IS SAYING TO DOWNLOAD TO A FILE THEN DISCONNECT BEFORE YOU REMOVE OLD AV.

IF YOU FIND ANYTHING ON YOUR BOOT SCAN MOVE TO CHEST DO NOT DELETE/Remove

Ok, this is also because these directions were in some other context?
 Fortunately, and despite my unpleasant experiences with McAfee and Norton, I have remained free of infections, and am not currently experiencing any problems which would indicate any. Full scans by McAfee, Windows Defender, Spybot and Ad-Aware show nothing even slightly suspicious.

YOU ARE IN BETTER SHAPE THAN MOST

for a double check

follow the links
run the registry cleaner

I should go through this before installing Avast? Little nervous about doing anything during the "unprotected" stage, especially if it means remaining online.

IF YOU CAN RUN THE REGISTRY CLEANER LATER- JUST DO NOT PUT ANY CHECKMARKS NEXT TO AVAST FINDS- JUST NORTON AND MCAFEE
(you can always "repair" avast" )

I have all the most recent versions of the products included in McAfee's Internet Security Suite, and since I did need to do a complete uninstall/reinstall less than a month after first getting it, I am aware of the need to use that specific removal tool

GOOD
Want to make sure again that no conflicts with Spybot and AdAware?
NO CONFLICTS
SPYBOT IS A GREAT PROGRAM
(Many hare having problems with new version of AdAware but if you are not it does not hurt to have it around)
Also, as I've been warned repeatedly about Outlook Express conflicts with anti-virus software, is it safe/recommended to disable Avast's e-mail scanning? Or are there settings which I can adjust to minimize potential problems?

WE DO NOT SEE VERY MANY POSTS ON OE vs AVAST

this is easier than it looks :)
It's just that we so many problems for people that install over/ after McaFee and NORTON and Panda

Of course if you are disconnected during install you will have to connect to do the update but protection should already be installed-
see happy-dude's comment below
not a bad idea to update before scan if you think your systems clean
( For others lurking- If infected do install scan then update and do it again)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:44:33 PM by wyrmrider »

Happy-Dude

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 09:48:20 PM »
Good thing that you are asking questions before a software installation ;) .

No conflicts here with the programs you have mentioned.

**Now, avast! defaults to asking if you would like to do a reboot and DOS-like scan (boot time scanning). I believe that you can cancel this if you are certain nothings wrong, but it is a recommended practice to allow it (though, I do manually download avast! defintions and install it afterwards before rebooting to have an up-to-date scan).

------------------------------
Perhaps, in the future, when you want to try out new software, you can try virtualizing a program first.

That is what I plan to do in the future weeks. I might even get to test IE8 beta 2.

For me, my casual virtualization needs will just be a little *heads up* kinda thing. But don't worry, avast! is nothing to be scared off ;) .

Sam Hobbs

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 12:30:03 PM »
Do uninstall all pieces of other AV software before installing avast. The Norton instructions for uninstalling it was not simple when I did it, so if you don't use the instructions, there is a good chance you won't get all of it. If you wait until after installing avast, avast might not be able to work due to unexpected conflicts or might not even install correctly. You might not be able to remove the other AV software after you install avast. There are many possible problems and diagnosing them might be impossible.

You did not mention ZoneAlarm so I assume you never used it, but when I used the free version about six years ago and then uninstalled it, there was one portion that remained in my system for years. I had problems with IE for years that went away when I finally found that ZoneAlarm DLL and removed it from my system.

As for disconnecting from the internet, I don't know any reason to disconnect for just the install. I think the best advice is to disconnect from the internet if you are not protected by an AV. Probably the reason people say to disconnect during installation is because that advice assumes there is an AV working but during installation of avast, there would temporarily be no AV. For you, since you do (did) not have a working AV, the temporary absense of an AV is permanent until you install avast.