Author Topic: Log use-URGENT  (Read 5742 times)

crow

Log use-URGENT
« on: August 30, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »
Hi
Unable to see the whole description of shown warning and error logs, it is cut off by dots and I don`t have the faintest idea how to see the whole description. Neither do I succeed to export the logs ,and yes I followed the help file.

Please any help?
Thanks
EP
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 03:22:35 PM by crow »

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: Log use-URGENT
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 03:37:07 PM »
Hi
Unable to see the whole description of shown warning and error logs, it is cut off by dots and I don`t have the faintest idea how to see the whole description. Neither do I succeed to export the logs ,and yes I followed the help file.

Please any help?
Thanks
EP

You can resize the columns with your mouse, just point at a column-line -> | , and you can resize it
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

crow

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 03:56:49 PM »
Hi

Please any help?
Thanks
EP

You can resize the columns with your mouse, just point at a column-line -> | , and you can resize it

Thank for your reply
I did anything it is a no go, nothing I do changes the length of it.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 07:06:57 PM »
Hi,

Try placing your mouse pointer exactly on the vertical line separating the column you want to view from the next column to its right,

then the mouse pointer will change to a horizontal double-headed arrow,

when it does that, click and drag to the right and the source field will be expanded to reveal the full details.

My regards and good luck

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 08:42:38 PM »
Neither do I succeed to export the logs ,and yes I followed the help file.

And what happen when you try to export the logs? Do you get any error message?

Export logs work just fine here now, when I try.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

crow

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 08:56:35 PM »
Hi,

Try placing your mouse pointer exactly on the vertical line separating the column you want to view from the next column to its right,

then the mouse pointer will change to a horizontal double-headed arrow,

when it does that, click and drag to the right and the source field will be expanded to reveal the full details.

My regards and good luck

Thank you very much,it is done.This is one of the oportunities to get to know that we never stop learning...... :D
EP

crow

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 10:48:39 PM »
Neither do I succeed to export the logs ,and yes I followed the help file.

And what happen when you try to export the logs? Do you get any error message?

Export logs work just fine here now, when I try.

When I try to export the logs, after filtering ,NADA.(and no error messages)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:50:18 PM by crow »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »
You can also go directly to the source of the information that is displayed in the avast log viewer, the text files, Warning.txt in the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log folder.

Now if you have stuff in the Info section of the log viewer, you have changed the default setting in the Program Settings, Logging, which is set with the slider opposite the Notice level. This generates more log entries and also windows event log entries.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

crow

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 12:59:43 AM »

Now if you have stuff in the Info section of the log viewer, you have changed the default setting in the Program Settings, Logging, which is set with the slider opposite the Notice level. This generates more log entries and also windows event log entries.

Sorry didn`t understand your remark regarding Logging,the slider has to stay opposite to the notice level ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 01:18:46 AM »
No, it doesn't have to stay there (your system your choice), just that it indicates you must have changed it and the lower the logging level the more that will be logged, much of it unimportant.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

crow

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
No, it doesn't have to stay there (your system your choice), just that it indicates you must have changed it and the lower the logging level the more that will be logged, much of it unimportant.

What would be the recommended logging level, bearing in mind that I do not want to get confused by too much data from one hand, but from the other hand wouldn't want to miss some important practical data?
Thanks
EP

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 04:00:02 PM »
The default setting in many avast settings are what I would recommend and this is certainly one, set to Notice level as that will record more serious levels above it but not the trivia below it..