Author Topic: Avast Startup Hard Drive Scan  (Read 11484 times)

mansrm81

Avast Startup Hard Drive Scan
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:39:40 AM »
Hi is there a way to stop Avast from scanning my hard drive on startup it really slows my computer down. I really can't do anything.

I there is a thread already here please point it out to me thanks

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast Startup Hard Drive Scan
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 11:06:51 AM »
What scanning exactly do you mean?

mansrm81

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 11:14:25 AM »
scanning for viruses

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 11:17:05 AM »
That's what I somehow expect... but do you mean the boot-time scan or something else? "Scanning on startup" isn't really clear...

mansrm81

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 11:38:11 AM »
I only have scan for modified and created files and it scans like over 900 files. I don't have it setup to scan on start or anything else. I just don't see why xp would create or modify over 900 files on startup.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 02:21:43 PM »
I just don't see why xp would create or modify over 900 files on startup.
Some files are just accessed (to load the application icon, for instance), other are loaded (as dll ones), and Standard Shield should be scanning the executables and dlls... You can disable the system libraries scanning on load into the Standard Shield settings as follows:
The best things in life are free.

mansrm81

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 08:25:00 PM »
I have everything on that disabled

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 10:57:46 PM »
I only have scan for modified and created files and it scans like over 900 files. I don't have it setup to scan on start or anything else. I just don't see why xp would create or modify over 900 files on startup.

What other security software do you have running on boot ?

I have seen something like this before and it was my firewall's anti-spyware opening all and sundry, adding hundreds of additional files to the scanned total. I promptly disabled my firewalls resident anti-spyware and that reduced the scanned count to 150-175.

This was a long time ago with an earlier version of avast, currently with this version and I don't have my scanning restricted as you have and my scan count tops out at just under 200 and (still bots in under 1 minute) I have SuperAntiSpyware as a Resident anti-spyware running on boot also.

Personally I wouldn't be looking at stopping avast scanning (hiding the symptom) on boot but trying to find out what it is that causes avast to scan the files in the first place (find/treat the cause).

Perhaps by logging what is scanned, though I'm not sure how this would be don during boot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 11:09:57 PM »
I have everything on that disabled
No, you shouldn't do that... you're disabling the antivirus (in fact).

mansrm81

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 01:26:18 AM »
Its not disabled I have scan modified and created files on the scanner advanced settings.
DavidR i have just windows firewall and avast for security.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 01:27:37 AM »
Its not disabled I have scan modified and created files on the scanner advanced settings.
It's not the same. Let the Scanner (Basic) tab of setting all checked (or except the last one only).

mansrm81

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 01:58:02 AM »
I have a slow hard drive and computer so scanning files on open etc. i don't need.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 12:12:15 AM »
I have a slow hard drive and computer so scanning files on open etc. i don't need.
It's not scanning file on opening... it's about scanning executables on run. If you uncheck it, the resident protection will be SEVERELY disabled... ::)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 08:50:54 AM »

What exactly do you have set on the second page? All created/modified files, or just selected?

Well, the question is  - which setting gives you less scanning in reality.

Sam Hobbs

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 11:50:53 AM »
Are you sure it is scanning? How do you know? If the only clue is that avast is executing while the system is booting, then perhaps it is downloading virus updates. I don't know if avast does that but when I was using Panda, it would download virus updates while booting and that made startup take more than a half an hour. If avast is downloading virus updates during startup, then just disable automatic updates. If you do that, you must ensure that virus updates get done often; usually at least once a day. If you use "Ask when updates are available" then avast will tell you when updates are available and allow you to do the updates then. The relevant advantage for here is that the updates are not done during boot.