Author Topic: 2 questions about home edition.  (Read 3522 times)

Reed

2 questions about home edition.
« on: August 31, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »
Ok, I am new to Avast! and I have to say that so far the configuration of the program doesn't strike me as very intuitive. Mainly I have 2 questions right now...

1) When activating Avast! via the shell to test a file (ie: right clicking on a file, and starting an Avast! scan), I dislike the fact that the results window disappears as soon as the scan is completed. I like to see the summary of the results of the scan, and then manually shut it. Does anyone know how to configure that?

2) I would like to know where exactly I can find the switch for having Avast! descend its scans into rar-archives and the like. I managed to turn it on once, but haven't been able to find the main setting where it is done, it was more via a temporary request that the program asked if I wanted it to do it. But there has to be some kind of main switch somewhere?

Thanks.

alfainfo

Re: 2 questions about home edition.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 11:53:32 AM »
In order to see the result of the scanning like desires, you make right click on the blue ball and select program setting (or something of similar, i have italian version), and in the window that is opened select "show the result of Explorer extension".

Reed

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 11:59:10 AM »
Perfect, thanks alot mate.

Anyone who can enlighten me about my other question, as to where I can turn on/off the scanning of files inside rar archives?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »
Yep.
Once the GUI is open, there are two ways to do this. One is on the interface itself, and the "how-to" may vary depending on what skin you use. (See the picture. Where the hand-shaped cursor is, a balloon tip is present that says something like "click this button to scan inside zipped archives, that wasn't captured in the screenshot.)
The other way is when using the menu button to start a scan, four setting options come up: select scan area, select scan sensitivity, scan archive files (that's the one) then start scan.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »
Reed, Tarq57 has answered you. Do you need further help?
Welcome to avast forums ;)
The best things in life are free.

Reed

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 03:45:07 PM »
Yep.
Once the GUI is open, there are two ways to do this. One is on the interface itself, and the "how-to" may vary depending on what skin you use. (See the picture. Where the hand-shaped cursor is, a balloon tip is present that says something like "click this button to scan inside zipped archives, that wasn't captured in the screenshot.)
The other way is when using the menu button to start a scan, four setting options come up: select scan area, select scan sensitivity, scan archive files (that's the one) then start scan.

Ok, I have the same skin and I did manage to find the option now, however it seems a little weird because I appearently have to select which folders to scan, and *then* I get the option up... Like.. there's no general overall setting for it, that u can go in and change without starting a scan? I mean I could do it this way, select folders and check it, and then just not start the scan, is this the only way?

Also I am not sure about the second method you are mentioning, which menu button exactly? :S

Thanks for the help btw.

// Reed

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 10:52:15 AM »
Well, a picture tells a thousand words. (re: the second method.)
The "menu" button I refer to is at the top left of the GUI.
IIRC, Avast remembers the last settings used, but I'm not sure of that. Anyway, it's a matter of a few seconds to create the desired scan settings, either using the radio buttons at the bottom of the GUI, or via the menu at the top left, pictured below.
You're more than welcome for the help.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.