Author Topic: Avast 5 missed update  (Read 4887 times)

Offline Keithuk

• http://www.auto-professionals.co.uk/
Avast 5 missed update
« on: November 07, 2010, 04:37:22 PM »
Hi guys/gals.

Now I have Avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.677 on my laptop. Now my battery its brilliant but it will normally last 15 minutes without power. Yesterday morning I switched it on to warm up while I stuck some bread in the toaster after a couple on minutes the toast pops up and I'm just about to change power plugs and the screen goes blank. Ok plug it in and start it up again.

After it starts up I get the Avast message problem installing update click here. I clicked to update again and it just kept on saying problem updating or bad update. I switch it on today and it still shows the bad/problem update. I uninstall Avast! restart and do a fresh install to clean everything out. After the restart Avast! isn't enabling. You go into options and click to start program and it doesn't start. You click the Fix button to fix the problem and it still doesn't start running. You right-click on systray icon and enable the 6 options and it still doesn't start running.

I check if its enabled in start up and it is. I restarted it a couple of times but that didn't start it up. I ended up doing a system restore 3 days and everything works as it should do now.

My question is if and update is missing or gets currupted why doesn't it download and new update again to overwrite?  ;)
Windows XP SP3 (Desktop)
Windows 7 32bit good (Laptop) fooked won't charge
DELL Inspiron Windows 10 x64 SHIT Laptop the worst fooking laptop design ever made
Avast FREE SHIT

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast 5 missed update
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 06:43:41 PM »
Hi guys/gals.

Now I have Avast! Free Antivirus 5.0.677 on my laptop. Now my battery its brilliant but it will normally last 15 minutes without power. Yesterday morning I switched it on to warm up while I stuck some bread in the toaster after a couple on minutes the toast pops up and I'm just about to change power plugs and the screen goes blank. Ok plug it in and start it up again.

After it starts up I get the Avast message problem installing update click here. I clicked to update again and it just kept on saying problem updating or bad update. I switch it on today and it still shows the bad/problem update. I uninstall Avast! restart and do a fresh install to clean everything out. After the restart Avast! isn't enabling. You go into options and click to start program and it doesn't start. You click the Fix button to fix the problem and it still doesn't start running. You right-click on systray icon and enable the 6 options and it still doesn't start running.

I check if its enabled in start up and it is. I restarted it a couple of times but that didn't start it up. I ended up doing a system restore 3 days and everything works as it should do now.

My question is if and update is missing or gets currupted why doesn't it download and new update again to overwrite?  ;)
Did you try doing a repair though add remove program's, you may also have other problems with your system that caused avast to do this (MALWARE) Try also scannig with malwarebytes.

Offline Keithuk

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 12:48:28 AM »
Did you try doing a repair though add remove program's, you may also have other problems with your system that caused avast to do this (MALWARE) Try also scannig with malwarebytes.
Thanks for replying.

My laptop uses Vista Home Premium 32bit.

No I didn't try a repair. No I've done a malwarebytes scan but nothing shows.

The main thing is why didn't it update again if it was corrupt?  ;)
Windows XP SP3 (Desktop)
DELL Inspiron Windows 10 x64 SHIT Laptop the worst fooking laptop design ever made
Avast FREE SHIT

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 09:32:04 AM »
The main thing is why didn't it update again if it was corrupt?  ;)
We are not saying that the download was corrupt.  The server may have been busy, it could have had something do to with your local Internet traffic, there are many variables.

In situations like this, the first thing to do is to try your download another time, and if necessary force it manually at a later time. 

If you still have a problem, then try an Avast Repair:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

If you suspect your machine is acting strange and you have another problem, check for malware.  Otherwise, if you think there is a problem with Avast not working properly after doing a Repair and it is unsuccessful after doing a reboot, then you would do an uninstall/clean install as a last resort.

Most times, just waiting for the next Avast definitions update resolves the problem. ;)

Offline Keithuk

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 05:58:56 PM »
We are not saying that the download was corrupt.  The server may have been busy, it could have had something do to with your local Internet traffic, there are many variables.
Thanks for your replies guys

Well I wouldn't have thought it was corrupted as generally as soon I start the computer up I get the message Avast updated. The computer had been on for a few minutes so it should have updated. I have the options set to update automatically when connected and it does.

As for trying a Avast Repair I didn't think it was worth it as a repair I would have thought only repairs/reinstalls the program file not the virus definition files.

It first started showing the red message Avast didn't update click here to update and everytime it wouldn't.

As I've already said I've done a full malwarebytes scan and nothing shows up.

Oh there is another little niggle, I can't remember when it was exactly but in option I clicked on update/upgrade and ever since I get this stupid pirate voice saying things have been updated. I've checked in Control Panel - Sounds and the sounds for Avast all have exclamation marks by them so you can't test them.

Do anyone know how to get the original sounds back?  ;)
Windows XP SP3 (Desktop)
Avast FREE SHIT

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 07:21:39 PM »
The repair function if it finds corruption in the virus signature database could well start the update from there.

It is a Language change that you made to get that stupid Pirate voice ;D
So you need to reverse that and set the avastUI, Settings, Language tab, and using the drop down list, select English.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Keithuk

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 10:56:41 PM »
Cheers David the language was set to Pirate talk in the languages settings. I don't know how it had changed as once I set all settings after I installed I never use them again.  ;)

I've just noticed Sounds in Control Panel still has exclamation marks by all the Avast sounds.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:05:49 PM by Keithuk »
Windows XP SP3 (Desktop)
Avast FREE SHIT

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 12:16:21 AM »
You're welcome.

Well that Language had to be downloaded as it isn't a default.

Even if it were in the default language set, you would have to select it, so a mystery unless you have others able to access your system.

None in mine they are checked see image, where are these exclamation marks then ?

If you have changed the Language back to English, I would suggest that you reboot as it mat still be pointing at the wrong sound files.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 09:32:53 AM »
Keithuk,

Please let us know if your machine is now updating properly.  If all appears to be working well and you feel that your issue is now resolved/fixed, please go back to the first open post in this topic, click the modify button in that Post and change the title/subject, add [Resolved] to the beginning of the title so this thread can be closed. 

If you feel that you have additional concerns, feel free to post them here and we will continue to assist you.

Feel free to come back any time you need help, to learn something new, or just to ask questions.  We are here 24/7 for your convenience.  Thank you.