Author Topic: Windows Live Mail issue with Avast  (Read 3761 times)

Hopismum

Windows Live Mail issue with Avast
« on: August 30, 2008, 06:56:14 PM »
Hiya.     Using Vista Home Premium, Avast 4.8 Home Edition and have an issue with Windows Live Mail.   
I had email scanning turned ON and when recieving emails that have attached pdf files it would freeze up Live Mail and also freeze up Vista totally.    Having done quite a lot of reserach I found what I thought was a fix for the pdf issue in live mail weeks ago and did not feel it was Avast related  but it has started happening again.   I did more research today and came across this:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/62560-windows-mail-problems.html

1. Make sure your antivirus or any other security programs have all of their email scanning options turned off. The emailscaning option is a redundant feature.
NOTE: These scanning options can corrupt Windows Mail entire message folder, or the entire message store, when it attempts to remove a message it thinks contains a potential virus. You will still be protected against infection with the antivirus program's system protection. These email scans can also cause problems with opening attachments in Windows Mail to.

Further in the thread they recommend various Alternative Virus programs .   Note what it says in red :

5. Some Free Alternative Antivirus Programs:
NOTE: These work with Vista 32 bit (x86) or 64 bit (x64) with no problems, but will need to have their email scanning options turned off as well.
Avast - http://avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html
(Do a Custom install and do not install the email scanning option.)

So -  I turned email scanning OFF in Avast and now can open the attached pdf files.

I did a search here before doing so and couldnt seem to find anything related -  if I missed something that would be helpful please let me know.
Not sure if you guys have an idea or a fix for this so that I do not have to turn off email scanning   (although I do feel it just may be redundant)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 06:58:22 PM by connie »