Author Topic: what are these connections for  (Read 3306 times)

alienboy

what are these connections for
« on: April 11, 2004, 07:47:54 AM »
i ran Tesseract to monitor traffic on my nic and i noticed these:

1. kitty.avast.com
2. panther.avast.com
3. lunx.avast.com
4. lion.avast.com
5. leopard.avast.com
6. jaguar.avast.com
7. bagdad.core.ignum.cz
8. web.terminal.cz

sites being connected and data sent OUT to them constantly.

why?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:what are these connections for
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 08:35:17 AM »
Yeah, these are are updating servers.
Please see the FAQ for more info: http://www.avast.com/i_kat_314.html#idt_1366
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

alienboy

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 01:31:39 PM »
ok...but i do not have automatic update on - it is off.

how come this happens all the time and data is being sent out not of the same sizes but it seems in increasing sizes.  :o

if it is updating or checking for updates in signatures it does not have to do so over and over.  this is clearly beyond the user's control. some AV for servers can be configured to check for new sigs once every hour, 2 hrs 1 day 1 week, whenever.

what exactly is being sent out to these servers? that's what i like to know.
 ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 01:44:20 PM »
What do you mean, all the time?

As said in the FAQ, the servers are being pinged. This occures every 40 seconds, if the server is "unreachable", i.e. the ping does not work. You can turn off the pinging by checking the 'My computer is permanently connected to the Internet' box on the 'Updating (Connections)' page of the program settings.

Otherwise, avast does not send anything besides the update requests.

You can also do a search on this forum, this has been discussed a million times here already...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

alienboy

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2004, 06:32:25 PM »
i tried all the possible combo with update(basic) and update(connections) and the "pings" are still pinging and data is sent and sometimes received.

this is NOT me doing manual iAVS or program updating - automatic is OFF.

how do i search the forum? there are maybe over 30k posts much less than a million, and who have the time to read or try to read, analyse, interpret no more than 5 posts per search result. i dont know how to begin to search. what word or words to search by: ping? update? update server? a glance thru some sections tells me that most posts are not about my topic/concern.

what i asked are legitimate questions.  what is it sending. what does a ping contain? why is the ping different/increasing in size? why does it sometimes send AND receive data. what data is being received?

i dont know about you. at this time who can completely trust or believe any piece of software? when we have been lied to again and again.  when software is not what it said it is supposed to be/do. when software does stuff without tellling you exactly what is is doing and does it without your knowledge. when buggy software are sold. so-called freeware that have other intentions besides.

any software should be evaluated carefully especially when it attemps and makes internet connections on its own.