Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 5848 times)

ProgrammerGuy

Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 10:34:36 PM »
Really no mysteries involved Tech... ;D

Seems that Avast! likes to have a reboot with a lot of things that the user changes or sets up and that seems to be the case with the problems that I'd encountered... :P

If I'd have followed my own advise, RTFM (Read the Freakin' Manual), I've have known this before posting... 8)

Now let's see if I can help a friend of mine who has also just moved over from AVG solve the problem of the two blue icons missing from his system tray... ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 01:12:19 AM »
Now let's see if I can help a friend of mine who has also just moved over from AVG solve the problem of the two blue icons missing from his system tray... ???
1. Check the option in the Appearance tab of settings.
or
2. Repair your avast installation through Control Panel.
or
3. Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder
or
4. Add the path to ashDisp.exe into a value named avast! in the Windows Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
See picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26155.msg213891#msg213891

If that does not help, please, uninstall, boot, install again, boot.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc.?
The best things in life are free.