Author Topic: About avast reads Home edition  (Read 6980 times)

Kerry

About avast reads Home edition
« on: September 01, 2008, 11:03:42 AM »
I just renewed our Avast Pro for three years but when I look in "About avast" it reads that we have "avast! version 4.8 Home edition." Build Jul2008 (4.8.1229).

I've entered the new registration key and the update expiration date reads as it should.

Suggestion,

Thanks, Kerry
Vista Ultimate SP1

mansrm81

Re: About avast reads Home edition
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 01:54:15 PM »
Thats what it should say because they haven't updated it since july.

Kerry

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 02:06:13 PM »
Since posting I've emailed avast and Dr. Christian Cantoro gave me the URL to an avast uninstall utility that must be run in safe mode. I did and I still get the home edition in "About avast" but, if I click the "avast Antivirus" desktop icon and open the graphic with the start button, etc. there is a pop up button (upper left) that pops up a menu like the blue globe in the system tool tray and its About avast reads "Avast version 4.8 Professional". So,,,, I think you're right, that it's a oversight on their part.

Thanks,

Kerry

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »
That's certainly rather strange... as it works normally on our computers (i.e. avast! Professional is shown everywhere).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 02:48:10 PM »
Kerry, the version is shown into about dialog correctly...
The best things in life are free.

Kerry

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 04:11:20 AM »
Here's my "About avast" accessed via Avast's globe in the system tool tray.
Kerry

Since the clean reinstall I'm not getting the fancy graphic interface (with the folder images and start button) just the text ones.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kerry
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:23:48 AM by Kerry »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 08:58:01 AM »
I guess you mean: avast! settings / Common / Enable skins for Simple User Interface (provided you installed the skins... you may better check in Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs / avast! Antivirus / Change / Change)

But - even though the About (from the tray) says Home - you are able to run the Enhanced User Interface, right?
If you leftclick on the avast! tray icon - what does the bitmap on the left side of the window say: Home or Professional?

Kerry

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:56:20 AM »
Re: "you may better check in Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs / avast! Antivirus / Change / Change)" I have Vista with "Programs and Features." I clicked change and it had skins checked. Whereas before I did the clean uninstall and reinstall I would right-click the globe in the System Tool Tray and select "Start Antivirus and it would open a window and show that it was testing the memory and then the graphic interface would appear (looks a bit like the face plate of a car radio) but now it opens up a Windows type of interface as described below.

Re: "you are able to run the Enhanced User Interface, right?"  When I click on the "avast Antivirus" shortcut on my desktop it brings up a windows type window that has a "Folders" column on the left. I click on the folder named "avast Enhanced User Interface" and it displays six options, Manual Scanning, Resident Protection etc. but I don't know what you mean by " avast! tray icon." Do you mean the globe I described above that's located in the system tray?  - I don't know where to look for the "bitmap on the left side of the window."

I do better with step by step instructions.

Thanks,

Kerry

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 02:10:37 PM »
Can you run (double-click) ashEnhcd.exe from the avast folder? That is the Enhanced Interface that Igor is talking about.

Kerry

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 04:34:15 AM »
Can you run (double-click) ashEnhcd.exe from the avast folder? That is the Enhanced Interface that Igor is talking about.
Yes, but clicking it displays a Windows-like page (see attachment) not what I thought was the Enchanced Interface (like a fancy radio receiver's face plate. The Windows-like interface's "About avast" does show 4.8 Pro. Even though the System Tool Tray > av Globe" "About avast" still shows that I have "home....."

Kerry

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 05:25:16 PM »
Yes, but clicking it displays a Windows-like page (see attachment) not what I thought was the Enchanced Interface
That is the Enhanced Interface...

Kerry

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 10:37:59 PM »
Ahaa, I got it now. The Windows-like window is called the Enhanced Graphics Interface. What's the one called that looks a bit like the face plate of a car radio? Blue and gray, with icons of folders and hard drives—very fancy—that's the one I can't get any more.

BTW: avast Enhanced User Interface > the row under the File, View, Help menus (left to right) first blue globe (About Program) shows that it is 8.4 Pro. It's the "About avast" from the blue globe in the System Tools Tray that still shows "4.8 Home Edition."

Thanks,

Kerry

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »
What's the one called that looks a bit like the face plate of a car radio?
Simple User Interface or SUI for friends ;)

Kerry

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 10:25:19 PM »
Thanks Tech.

How do I turn on the SUI? I don't see the option in Sys Tool Tray > Globe > Program Settings > Appearance.

Kerry

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 11:28:10 PM »
By right click the avast 'a' icon, select Start avast! Antivirus, Menu, there should be something like Switch to Simple User Interface.

Though with the Pro version you should stick with the Enhanced User Interface, much better.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security