Author Topic: Error message while updating  (Read 6269 times)

Mac Shunsuke

Error message while updating
« on: September 01, 2008, 06:07:18 PM »
Hi to everyone,
I've recently installed avast on my Mac (OSX 10.4) and I have immediately found a problem: when I push the button "check for update", after some minutes the software says that there was an error "vps" and it create a file named "400.vps.bad" (I think a registry file) on the desktop... someone can help me?
Ps. I have found a similar problem with Clamxav...

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Error message while updating
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:21:39 PM »
Hi to everyone,
I've recently installed avast on my Mac (OSX 10.4) and I have immediately found a problem: when I push the button "check for update", after some minutes the software says that there was an error "vps" and it create a file named "400.vps.bad" (I think a registry file) on the desktop... someone can help me?
Ps. I have found a similar problem with Clamxav...

Hallo, there might be two reasons of this, in general:

- bad connectivity (= truncated/malformed 400.vps was downloaded)
- temporary desync at our servers (in this case, more retries will be succesful, because the desync exists usually exists on a limited subset of our servers at the moment, and has a transient nature anyway).

please, check it more times (each retry asks a randomly chosen pair of servers), and in the case of stable buggy behavior, let me know.

regards,
PC
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Mac Shunsuke

Re: Error message while updating
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:58:40 PM »
I tried again to check for updates, and this time avast was successfully updated... it's all right!  ;D
Thanks for the help Zillog!