Author Topic: Administrator privileges for inserting license  (Read 3069 times)

Sam Hobbs

Administrator privileges for inserting license
« on: September 02, 2008, 02:35:08 AM »
I am using XP. I installed avast yesterday and tried to insert the license key today. I normally do not use an account with administrator privileges but I did of course install avast using the Administrator account. So of course I got a message saying I must have administrator privileges to insert the license.

The "avast! Registration" email message says nothing about administrator privileges; it should not assume that the user is using administrator privileges by default; it should state explicitly in the instructions that the license must be inserted using administrator privileges.

Also, it would help if avast offered the opportunity to login as administrator for the purpose of inserting the license. I am a programmer and I know it (not the RunAs command) can be done. I am familar with the RunAs command but I do not know what to execute to get the avast "About" box. I am not suggesting that as the solution, however; I am suggesting use of the Windows API function that allows logging in as another user for the purpose of doing something specific. Do I need to find the function? I hope the avast developers know what I mean.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Administrator privileges for inserting license
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:59:33 AM »
I do not know what to execute to get the avast "About" box.
ashdisp.exe and right click the icon.
The best things in life are free.

Sam Hobbs

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 11:13:12 AM »
I do not know what to execute to get the avast "About" box.
ashdisp.exe and right click the icon.
I am sorry, but I explicitly stated that I was not asking for help with that. Whatever the solution is, it is not quite that easy. I will create a new thread with details.

I should not have mentioned the RunAs command; it is not relevant enough to what I was trying to say and obviously is distracting. I very much appreciate the value of keeping threads on-topic. I have seen too many threads in other forums growing so large due to off-topic discussion that it never gets on-topic.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 02:07:43 PM »
Sorry, the problem is that you've started a lot of threads about similar issues, so, we try to help in the topics we (think we) could.
The best things in life are free.

Sam Hobbs

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 05:42:34 AM »
Sorry, the problem is that you've started a lot of threads about similar issues, so, we try to help in the topics we (think we) could.
You are guessing, and it is a highly innacurate guess. At the time I posted my reply here, this is the only thread I had created. I created a second thread later, as I suggested I might.