Author Topic: System Booting Slow With Avast  (Read 3971 times)

Offline NeroMorte

System Booting Slow With Avast
« on: September 03, 2008, 02:50:24 AM »
I Noticed since latest Update, Now when i restart computer and it boots back up Windows welcome screen go's away then a Blank Desktop Appears for like 3 Mins.

I Press Alt + Ctrl + Del and Seen Avast.setup in Processors List, Once this go's away System Finish's Loading.

I looked in Event Log didn't Seem to find anything that would be causing this problem.

Anyone else have this problem also, or an Idea what might be going on, This just started about eeh a Week Ago now.

Thanks Peace

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: System Booting Slow With Avast
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 03:02:45 AM »
The avast.setup is the avast update process so it is getting in early in your boot as a connection is available.

You can delay that check to allow your system to completely finish booting before it starts it check.

You need to edit (using notepad) the [InetWD] section of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\avast4.ini file and add the following line (depending on your connection type (probably broadband) enter one or other of the Bold lines below):
Dial-up connections, add this line: RASWaitSeconds=120
Broadband connections, add this line: AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120

[InetWD] AlwaysConnectedWaitSeconds=120 Or RASWaitSeconds=120
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

The figure is seconds and the above equates to two minutes, you could try that and adjust upwards if required, 180, 240, etc. If your system normally boots a little slowly then 180 seconds or more may be better.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: System Booting Slow With Avast
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 03:19:21 AM »
Try Startup Delayer.
This freeware controls the windows startup (Windows 98\Me\2k\XP) that does not follow a strict order.

You can set some applications to start very after the boot (logon) itself.  ;)
They will manage the execution of programs that are automatically started by the operating system at logon time. Instead of executing many programs at once (causing your OS to spit and sputter and attack your hard drive), StartRight will give the OS time to execute the program before running the next program. The OS should become much more responsive almost imediately after logon.

Since avast! version 4.7.807 the Standard Shield has a feature called do not scan system libraries (by default on) that dramatically decrease the number of files scanned during computer boot.
The best things in life are free.